icon

Battery Draining

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
azidrane 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

I just did an install of a low end panasonic deck into a 1987 4dr Honda Accord. The car has no subs or amps or anything, just t the new deck and the rest is stock. The customer is now saying that her battery is draining. She just went through her third battery on this thing, and the last two are so dead now that they cant even be recharged. My manager (lead tech) and I went through the car and tested all the electrical and we could find nothing out of the ordenary. The wiring was all done with a harness and all the wires were tested and everything checks out. So we replaced the HU with a new one to see what that would do. I just heard back from her today and she said that its still dying on her. She's had the alternator checked out by several mechanics and they all say that its not the problem.

Just yesterday I had another customer complain that the same thing has happened in her car (an 88 of the same model) with her old kenwood deck. She bought a new JVC and had us put that in for her yesterday so I dont know if the problem has been rectified.

Is this a known issue and is there a way to fix it? 

Is there something else in the car we should be looking at?

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
She has a drain, but not because the head unit was changed.  She's just convinced of that because the timing coincided.  She can:  continue to blame you for the electrical problem in her car...meanwhile buying a new battery every few weeks, or you can tell her she needs to go to a good mechanic and get her electrical system tested.  Just to be on the safe side, tell her, you'll just remove the fuse from the radio so it won't pull any power.  Let her go out and try to start the dead car and not have anyone to blame for it.  She needs to get on the ball, get the car fixed, and quit fingering you as the scapegoat.  You've already put in too much labor on that job.
netboy 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  
her alt proablly dead
Memphis MC-1300
2 12" JLw6v2
Diamond audio M3 6x9
Diamond audio M3 5.25 components
Audio control Matrix
Carputer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.