icon

Wierd symptoms, your input please

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
It doesnt really matter as long as the deck is grounded properly. Personally I would probally use a 16 gauge wire but 18 is probally fine. That grounding strap isnt really Ideal for a ground but its convenient so almost everyone uses it.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
PuppyDawg 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  

Ravendarat wrote:
It doesnt really matter as long as the deck is grounded properly. Personally I would probally use a 16 gauge wire but 18 is probally fine. That grounding strap isnt really Ideal for a ground but its convenient so almost everyone uses it.

hmmmm interesting that you mention that.....cause everything was prety much wired the same when i took a quick look behind the deck, except for that braided ground wire.....i just took it out (threw it away) and used the 18 gauge wire to replace it cause it looked neater......it's just hard to understand cause i've used the same set up in my prior installs.....and the deck worked fine before i did this.....i should've just left it alone....*pouts* if it ain't broke then don't fix it saying is starting to apply to this application all of a sudden for me...sheesh

*paw print*
PuppyDawg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
another question if you will....i remember disconnecting a (random) wire that somebody "jerry wrigged"  by twisting them together and used as the 12 volt constant....i'm thinking that particular wire had something to do with the "external amp" ......if so....(this particular wire is not connected any longer) should i try reconnecting this to what wire in the back of the deck? i also tested this wire and it seems as though as it's hot only when ignition is turned...(pos 2)   
*paw print*
audifive 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
after you figure out the whole remote turn on/power antenna thing, check this out.  some chryslers have two ground wires going to the factory head unit.  one is the braided ground wire, and another is a black wire that would have plugged into the back of the factory head unit.  that black wire  i am pretty sure is the amp ground for some of their infinity systems.  have your head unit and that wire grounded to make sure the amp works properly.  i worked on a 92 caravan and the amp didnt work properly until i connected that thin black wire to ground as well.  im not sure it will, but i hope this helps.
PuppyDawg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2004 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  

audifive wrote:
after you figure out the whole remote turn on/power antenna thing, check this out.  some chryslers have two ground wires going to the factory head unit.  one is the braided ground wire, and another is a black wire that would have plugged into the back of the factory head unit.  that black wire  i am pretty sure is the amp ground for some of their infinity systems.  have your head unit and that wire grounded to make sure the amp works properly.  i worked on a 92 caravan and the amp didnt work properly until i connected that thin black wire to ground as well.  im not sure it will, but i hope this helps.

*pouts* still nothing....this is what i've done..

- deck works (hooked it up to my own vehicle)

- re-attached antenna wire (blue) with remote wire (blue/white)

- re-ground (clean metal surface) to another area

i'm stumped guys....but thanks to you guys at least i have a clue at least......dodge using 2 grounds aye?.......hmmmmm i honestly only replaced the flat braided wire (ground) for a 18 gauge wire and grounded it in it's same place.....i'm guessing that "second" ground is daggling somewhere behind or something.....i need to find that external amp, or "second" ground...this is killing me guys!! *pulling fur out*

*paw print*
Xracerx 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2004 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
Bypass all the factory wiring and hook it up like it never had a radio to start with.  I have seen to many factory wiring problems cause this. You never know if the factory wires could be bad, Someone else rewired it, etc.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic