icon

Lost 12V power after rewire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
SwapMeet 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 1:36 AM / IP Logged  
I've seem to have lost my 12V power going to my headunit sometime during a rewiring project.
Background:
2000 Ford Mustang, aftermarket Kenwood head unit installed by Best Buy.
What I did:
I wanted to tap the 12V wire to power a mobile monitor. However, sometime during the process I lost power from the factory harness. Now I can't power either the monitor or the head unit, together or separately. I've checked voltages with a multimeter.
What I've done since:
I've checked all the fuses in the passenger compartment. I looked up my fuse box diagram and swapped out any fuses that were associated with the radio.
Any ideas on what happened?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  

You've most likely blown a fuse somewhere you just haven't found it yet.

First rule of working on a vehicle's power system is DISCONNECT THE BATTERY before you begin.  It prevents things like blowing hidden fuses.  And potential fires, arcs and sparks, damaged equipment, burned connectors, death, destruction, etc. etc. etc....

Support the12volt.com
Doyledee 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
I would check all the fuses with a multimeter... I have found that not everything that goes to the radio is marked "radio".. Possible constant hot would come from other circuits.. ie..cig lighter...horn...   If in doubt pull each fuse one by one and check them individually.  Hope this helps..
97 Sebring Jx convertible
1500 RF amp with 2-10" Lanzar subs
2005 suzuki Katana 600
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
Lol, death... But yeah, check the fuses, as there is one that you probably haven't found yet that needs replacement. What guage of wire are you using for power? You might need to bump it down a guage for a cleaner connection for both the head unit and the monitor...
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2004 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
Theres fuses under the hood sometimes too that people overlook.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
SwapMeet 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2004 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
I went to Wal-Mart and picked up one of those fuse testers. Sure enough, one of the fuses in my engine compartment had blown, gbut it was just hard to see visually. However, now I have another problem with my heater not working right. Time to go check my fuses again. Thanks for all the help. Hopefully replacing the minifuse will get me back on track.
lookingforcool 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2004 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  

check the heater relay under the hood, too.  it's not always a fuse...

good luck!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic