icon

volume up, sound off

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
97Avalonxls 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
I just finished biamping my component sets and now I cannot turn the volume up past 18 or 20 without the music stopping. It continues, ie the track is still advancing, it comes in intermittantly and come back when It's turned lower. What happened? All I did was run additional wires to each crossover, connected then to my rear channels on my 4 channel amp, and viola, something is majorly fcuked. I set the gain on the rear outputs to the same as the fronts, the xover on the amp is set to 90, hp, aand the weird thing is, while i was doing the install, I tested the left speaker and it worked, no problem. Now even if I turn the crossovers back to single imput mode, they still shut off with the increased volume. Ovbiously this is extremely troubling and I need to fix it stat. Please help....
I don't know what else anyone might need to know to help, but..
speakers
Polk MOMO 5250 new, about two months old
amp
Kicker kx800.4 ...and I cannot see the red LED, but I don't think the amp is going into protect mode as it still makes intermittant sound as I mentioned
ps everything was fully opperational yesterday.
thanks in advance
oh, and I can usually take the volume to 28 without any distortion
Projek_01 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  

I think your amp cant handle the inpendence load of your speakers, But I am only a teen and dont have much experence.

Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
why biamp your components? if you are having difficulty with biamping just hook it up normally...there is really no need to biamp components.....
Quad L Handyman services
Projek_01 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
The problem is that the crossover networks take alot of power. So biamping reduces the loss of loudness.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe one of the fuses on your amp is blown, or the one under your hood. Might be worth checking!
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
Did you remember to remove the jumper when you bi-amped?
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
97Avalonxls 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
the passive xovers have a switch, I think perhaps it might be faulty? how could I check if it is working?
bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2004 at 4:01 AM / IP Logged  
turn the switch on biamp mode, diconnect the rca's from the tweeter's own amp, and if one or both of them play, the crossover(s) switch is faulty

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic