the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

cap and amps install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
edit:  "long woofer wavelength" in my post should be "longer wavelengths from a low-crossed subwoofer"  Find the manual for the 15" mempis or ask your dealer.  I'd try a low Q sealed or ported.  Sealed will give slightly tighter sound but the ported will have louder output.  The ported box will also be quite larger.  What do you think you'd like more?
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
kfr01 wrote:

I wonder if any of the others have seen this thread, I don't think I've heard many of the other regulars weigh in on this subject yet. 

I, for one, am reading and learning.......and I do have a rather loooonnnggg learning curve!  These types of intelligent posts make me happy to be a part of this forum, too.  I just can't speak with the big brains on mattters like this.  Someday, it will all come together.....

AJRXtreme 
Silver - Posts: 302
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/LiveImages/112/45/DocumentURL1.pdf
Here is the link to where i found the enclosure recomendations for the sub. I believe the box is supposed to be 3 cubic feet for a ported box and the port hole be 4x5.5 for the M3154D. Is this the right enclosure size for the low Q ported box? Please correct me if im wrong Thankyou.
03 F150 on 24's
HU:Pioneer DVD5700
Frt:MC57
Subs:(12)S12L7
Amps:(3)KX2500.1's, MC-2004
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
That is what they recommend.  However, I'd play around with WinISD and try to drop that tuning frequency down to at least 30hz. 
AJRXtreme 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 6:32 AM / IP Logged  
What is the WinISD? and how would i go about doing that?
03 F150 on 24's
kfr01 
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  

WinISD is free software available here:   http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisdpro

You plug in the speaker parameters and it helps you design the box.  Plug in the parameters you found on that page.  Try to set the tuning frequency lower, and see if you have room for that large of an enclosure.  Play around with it and try to see what happens to the SPL curve.

kfr01 
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst,

First, thank you for the very thorough and interesting response.  Your post made a lot of sense and I am much less concerned with these problems.  I'm learning a lot from you on this board - I feel like I should be paying you.  cap and amps install - Page 4 - Last Post -- posted image.  God knows I've learned less from some formal education credits costing quite a bit.

haemphyst wrote:
I do agree with you in reference to someone building an SQ system, yes he should be warned that this will NOT give optimal sound quality. You and I both seem to agree that one would NEVER build an SQ system like this, and if someone were to ask, I would steer tham away from it.

Alright.  So my question is this, and I know this is off-topic for AJRX, but I'll continue to keep helping him...  When _does_ something like this start to matter for daily drivers looking for a little more output from their otherwise SQ system? 

The situation I'm thinking of is a very quick pluck of a bass guitar or a tight thump to the kick drum.

haemphyst wrote:
The wavelength of an 80Hz note (or tone) is 14 feet (give or take). How much additional [inductance / distance / whatever] would be required to cause one driver to be THAT much slower than the other, so as to cause a smearing of a 14 foot long tone?  ... I doubt very much that there is going to be a significant problem as far as transient response is concerned. How much truly transient information is there REALLY at 80Hz and below?

I've been trying to find some credible references regarding time smearing and what audible effect delay actually causes over the bass region.  Another reason I'm so interested in this topic is because I'm currently trying to plan my HT system.  I'm trying to decide between porting my L/R mains or leaving them sealed and between whether or not to use 2 subwoofers or one.  Anyway, I know this is far removed from car audio, but I hear all sorts of bable about 'transient' response and phase issues in the bass region on various websites.  Some of it is conflicting.  So, I'm trying to make a real determination of how audible delay problems actually are in the bass region.

On that note, I finally found an interesting post (see the last post on the page) here: http://www.trueaudio.com/post_003.htm 

John's post seems to support that you are very right.  His probable conclusion, based on some experiment data, seems to be that reasonable delay, (on the order of that probably resulting from different inductance and Q values), has very little audible effect in the bass. 

Now, put enough difference in distance between the drivers and it seems to make sense that you'll clearly start having an audible issue.  So, after my feeble analysis, it seems that reasonable speaker placement in the bass region probably has much more effect on transient response than either driver or box differences.

Would you say this is a correct conclusion? 

AJRXtreme 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
Im so frustrated right now. I downloaded the program but try to fill in all the parameters and the memphis web site doesnt have all the information i need. I try saving what i have but an error page keeps coming up. I dont know what to do. Someone please help me! THANKYOU
03 F150 on 24's
kfr01 
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
I created your driver. PM me with your e-mail address and I'll e-mail you the driver file.
You could try a 3.5 cubic foot box with a port of 4" diameter, 9" length for a tuning frequency of around 28hz. You'll be -3db at around 32hz.
Something like this would give you some SERIOUS low bass to complement your system. It would play much deeper than your 10" drivers.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
The trouble you're seeing with that pop-up is that you have entered parameters that don't exactly coincide with what WINISD has figured.  If you put in a figure for Qts that has 2 decimal places, the program wants three.  So take the Qts number out, and the program will automatically fill it in, as long as it has Qes and Qem to work with.  If the box pops up again, take out BL.  Do this until the pop-up quits coming up.  Each time, check the parameters and you'll see the number WinISD puts in  using a different color.  It's a little difficult at first, but once you get the hang of it you can use it very quickly.  And it doesn't need all the parameters to figure box size.  Just put in what you have available and do what I spoke of here.
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic