Inverters for in-car X-box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jcage89 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I am installing an Xbox in my 350z and splicing into the car's stock navigational sreen.  I have previously installed an aftemarkerket audio system consisting of a pre-amp alpine head unit, two JL audio amps (each with sepearate fused 8 gauge leads from the battery.

Anyway, I bought a monster power 150watt inverter for the Xbox...

http://www.monstercable.com/caraudio2/productPageCar.asp?pin=1921

I bought this and paid the higher price because of reviews on power conditioning and overload protection, etc.  Xbox is supposed to consume 110watts so I figured 150w would be sufficient since Xbox is only AC device plugged into inverter.   anyway with the engine off, inverter on, and Xbox off,  the invertert's 12v indicator light is yellow. per manual, yellow means the inverter is either under-powered or overpowered (I would guess underpower).  In this same state, if I turn the Xbox on, the protection light comes on and the alarm sounds either intermintantly or constantly.

With the engine on, inverter on, and xbox off, the 150w inverter's 12v indicator light is green (meaning all is OK).  If I turn the Xbox on, everything is still fine.

So, the issue is that I would like to use the xbox for reasonable spans of time with the engine off (in a parking lot, etc.)  If I buy a bigger inverter, will this solve my problem, or is the problem rooted in the battery's limited charge and there is no possible way with the current battery to use the Xbox with the engine off?

Here is the bigger Monster iverter (300w).  I would not be very easy to test any theories with this since it requires hard wire installation with 8gauge wire as opposed the 150w which gets spliced right into the lighter adapter.

http://www.monstercable.com/caraudio2/productPageCar.asp?pin=2720

I also looked at much cheaper inverters at Bestbuy, but would be leary about use without fuse protection for my xbox.  Any advice from those with experience on this is appreciated in advance!

JC

jc18750 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 5:14 AM / IP Logged  
sounds like you have the power inverter plugged into the cigarette lighter. that's only about an 18 gauge wire. you are trying to pull more current than that wire is big enough to allow. when the car is off your car sits at about 11.5 volts. when it's on it will sit at about 13.5 volts. if what your using consumes a considerable amount of energy you are going to need the car running in order to make your inverter capable of producing that much wattage. if you hard wire the inverter to the battery using a 12 gauge wire, you shouldn't have a problem.
jcage89 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  

Thank  you very much for info.. so yes I did have it splice into lighter adapter and yes it is about 18gauge wire.

As I mentioned, I have two 8 gauge leads already coming back from the battery to each of my JL audio amps.  Once of the amps is a 250watt x 1channel powering two 8" JL w3 v2 subs and the other amp is a 300wx4ch powering all of my mids and tweets.

I would rather not pull everything apart to run yet another lead from the battery and would instead like to use a distribution block to take one of 8 gauge the JL amp leads and split it into an 8gauge to the amp and a 12gauge to the inverter.  But, I have read the the most common setup for a distribution block is a 4gauge run from the battery split to two 8gauge leads.

1. Since my amps (45amps or so continuous) are relatively small and the inverter only consumes 30 amps, would I be OK using a distribution block to split the 8gauge amp lead into an 8gauge and a 12 gauge  to the inverter?

2. Which amp lead would you use (the 250w single woofer amp or the 300w amp?)

3. Which inverter would you use (the 150w inverter or the 300w inverter?) also, keep in mind that the direct runs from the battery are obviously not switched and the 150w inverter has no remote capabilities so I would manually have to turn it on and off (pain in the a$$).  But the 300w inverter has a remote function that I could splice the remote wire to my amps in order to turn the inverter on and off with the amps.  But I don't want to use the 300w inverter if it is just going to sap more juice from my battery which is why I asked if the inverter consumes based on its rating (150 vs. 300) or based on what's hooked up to it?

Thanks again in advance for any info.

JC

jc18750 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2004 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
i would suggest running the wire from the battery. it's never a good idea to tap your amp power supply. every time you turn your xbox on your going to hear it in your speakers that are hooked into your amp. every time you open the disc tray...   
and if you want to have a switch for your inverter, put a relay on the power line that you tapped from the battery for the inverter.
i would use the 300 watt inverter. having more power than you need is always better than having just enough. though the 150watt will probably work fine, take a look at this.
say you have a 150 watt inverter.
while the car is on you have about 13.5 volts going to it if you tap the battery. since this inverter actually uses about 11 amps, using ohms law will tell us that when the car is on you are going to have an output of about 148.5 watts. if you turn your car off you have about 126.5 watts. if your car is on and your subs hit it can drop your voltage about 1 volt. when this happens you would be running 137.5 volts from the inverter. with this fluctuation wattage it might be better to use a 300 watt inverter. you will also get less fluctuation from your amp if you tap the battery instead of your amp lead.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic