icon

headunit recomendation Alpine, clarion?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
quick4321 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 3:15 AM / IP Logged  

I need to put a radio in my commuter car. I dont want to spend to much but I need to have decent sound. I have some old school MB quarts I paid over 600.00 for back in the late 90's that Im going to put in the doors and Ill power them with one of the amps I have lying around. What I am in need of is a somewhat decent headunit for the car. I think Im going to go with satelite radio so I have some tunes for my ride (its a little over an hour commute each way). Ive run clarion in the past and it wasnt that bad, and I can get  one of their brand new top units on flea-bay for 200.00 and then another 40 or 50 for the sirrus add-on module. I like the idea of MP3, since Im not going 100% autophile in this car MP3 would be nice to have. I looked at some eclipse, but none of them have mp3 that are in the 200.00 range. I have an alpine in my wifes car and I have a cva-1005 in my expy and Im happy with both. THe alpine is going to be in the 300.00 range though, and Id rather not go that high unless you all tell me the clarion has gone to complete crap. So whats the best way to get MP3, sat ready, and around 200 to 250 dollars? Also I have a low end pioneer in my explorer that I wouldnt give away, Im just completly unhappy with its sound.

fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  

You are thinking about getting satelite radio is one thing to consider.  Are you looking for a radio that can control the tuner or for an portable external tuner.  If you want the radio to control the tuner you have to decide on what service to you want to go with.  Clarion has sirrus and Alpine  has recently announced that they offer both sirrus and xm. 

Kenwood also has a radio the Kenwood KDC-MP625  that plays MP3's and WMA's and sirrus tuner.  Another nice feature of the kenwood is that it allows you to control your mids, highs and lows.

wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
go to locustaudio.com and look at the kenwood excelon decks very nice have sirrus, lots of options and system q, you can adjust your sound the way you want. x679 runs around 199. and it has a motorized face and great sound it is also mp3.
quick4321 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 1:03 AM / IP Logged  
I thought Kenwood was just average run of the mill quality. Is a Kenwood as good or better than an Alpine CDA9830 or a clarion DXZ745MP  (which has dual 24-bit dacs). Both of those are under $250.00. I can't decide between the two. Im looking at the kenwoods now jsut to see what they offer, I  can pick them up for 10% over cost at bestbuy so if they are decent I might have to go check them out. I see they do HD FM, any chance that will become a big deal in the future? I don't see anyone else picking up on it yet (HD FM).
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 8:04 AM / IP Logged  
When you compare Kenwood to Alpine that is a question that I have been pondering.  When you look at the units and their features they are almost identical.  In some ways the kenwood has more options than the Alpine.  I've had a Kenwood deck for over 2 years and no issues at all.  My brother has an alpine and it skips more than it's fair share.  I know that some people live by Alpine but I have heard different opinions on both.  In my opinion either of the decks would do you fine.  I would go with the Kenwood for the features.  Satelite radio, wireless remote, built in crossover and it plays MP3's and WMA's. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic