icon

Stereo installation in a Sunfire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ryan0204 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2004 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
I was reading through some of the topics on here about stereo installation on 2000 & newer sunfire's and I'm a little confused about the wiring. I'm pretty new to all of this and was wondering if someone could explain why you need to get a +12V switched wire source from the ignition harness or wiper fuse and why you can't just use what was powering the original factory stereo?
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2004 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
Most newer GM vehicles use a radio that only works off the vehicle's data bus. It isn't like a conventional radio anymore. The best thing to do is buy a module that replaces the original radio and retains the integrity of the data bus and chimes in the car. There are many different ones available and make the install very easy.
sparky
ryan0204 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2004 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
Is this the kind of module you're talking about? http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soungmchime.html
For $90, I'd rather just try what the other posts were talking about with finding a +12V switched source and using that.
sparkie 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2004 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
The radio is an integral part of the vehicle's data bus system. It must remain in the loop to prevent serious vehicle problems. You can choose the cheap option of relocating the factory radio to the trunk. Wire the radio into the trunk using the orange, black and purple wires. This will keep the vehicle working properly. You will loose your chimes unless you add an external speaker to the front left speaker output from the radio (grey and tan). You can find an accessory switched wire in the ignition switch harness. It is the thick brown one. You can no longer have the retained accessory feature anymore. This is only availabe from the data module method. The module will also retain your chimes. Trust the pros. Do it right the first time.
sparky
ryan0204 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2004 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the advice sparkie. Another question I have is that if the wire harness for the radio doesn't have a 12v switched wire, how does the factory radio turn on/off with the ignition?
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2004 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  

A cheap 4 ohm speaker and a few feet of wiring still doesn't cost $90.

I would just take the HU apart and tuck the PCBs up under the dash somewhere, along with some cheapo speaker for the chime.

If you're a pro installer I can see using the harness for a clean install, but DIY's are better off saving the cash.

dedlyjedly 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2004 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
and what about in two years, when the lease is up, or the wife wants you to get rid of the sportster in lieu of an uninspiring minivan.  you have to consider the value of the factory headunit, when youre ready to move on to your next vehicle, and im guessing thats easily worth the scrilla
MECP certified, 5yrs experience, you probably otta listen bitch!!
ryan0204 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
Would it be more complicated to take the factory HU apart than it would be to get a 12v switched source from the ignition?
sparkie 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2004 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
The radio is told to turn on by the Body Control Computer. It tells the radio that the ignition is turned on via a data message to the radio. Don't take the factory radio apart. Install it in the trunk like I said or buy the module. It's your choice and you have to live with the consequences. The modules aren't on the market for nothing. They are easy to use and install and do the job right. It's a no-brainer.
sparky

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic