icon

5 channel = Hifonics or Memphis Belle?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jvee 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2004 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  

If I go with a five channel amp, I think I have it narrowed down to either a Hifonics ZX8000 or Memphis Belle 600.  My problem is the Memphis costs double of what the Hifonics costs.  I do not mind paying for quality.  I never have before.  However, I do not want to pay for anything that I don't need in this application either.  Maybe I will run the 5th sub channel to 2 ohms just for the watts, but other than that all I want are quality watts that sound good.  Are the crossovers better, will the sound quality be better?  I am just unsure of what I am getting.  If the Hifonics is junk, then I know what I am getting.  The thing is, all I hear is good things. 

The amp will run 6.5 ADS components, 5.25 coaxials, and 10" sub (maybe DVC) in a small sealed enclosure.  I want to keep the factory head unit, so I am either getting a LOC or an AudioControl EQS or EQX. 

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  
In keeping the factory head unit, you are limiting the overall system to a mediocre one.  That is just a plain fact.  I did the same thing in my car and it took a while for me to come to that realization.  A total system can only be as good as its weakest link.  So to answer your question, the Belle probably wouldn't be appreciated any more than the Hifonics in your case, if I were to venture a guess.  And using an Audio Control with the factory deck is a good way to go.
Jvee 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  

I have never used a factory head unit before.  If I need to use an aftermarket to get better sound quality, then I will.  I have either my old Clarion Pro Audio headunit or buy a new one.  With that in mind, what are the perceptible differences between the amps?

uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
I definitely agree that you need to get a new head unit, as either amp will sound basically the same and none will do you justice without the new head unit. The signal that goes to your amp determines the clarity of the music repurcussioned by your amp and produced. If you get a new head unit, get something with low low distortion. A couple companies i can recommend are Alpine, Nakamichi, and Eclipse. They are big money some of them but they are worth it. After that, i'd probably go with the Memphis if you can afford it, but its really what your budget allows. If your going to go A/D/S for your speakers, then you want clean power and clean signal going to both. Seriously consider a new head unit, i'm not a fan of clarion, but we all have our budgets!
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
Memphis is the way to go.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
~AFAccord~ 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 3:26 AM / IP Logged  
You can't beat Memphis's quality and record.  Very good, reputable company that stands behind what they sell.
Black Cherry
"Experience is something you never get until just after you need it."
quick4321 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 5:54 AM / IP Logged  
Hifonics has been around for ever so I have no problem recomending them, and memphis also a great brand (I run both now). I hate repeating what everyone's said, but if you dont upgrade your headunit you might as well jsut keep whatever is in your car. You'll be completely unhappy with the sound you'll get using the line inputs on the amp (whatever they call the inputs that let you use the factory wiring). If you're on a budget get the hifonics and use the clarion you have lying around. I doubt the memphis will be that much better if you're not going to run high end speakers.
Clarion DRX9255
Dynaudio MD130, MD140/2, MD160, MD170
(4) ID V3. 12" Dual 2ohm IB setup
EPX2 Symmetry w/ zapco line drivers
Monior 1 amps (2)MK2.120, MK4.70
Hifonics Colosus VII 1600x1
Jvee 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  

Well, after these responces I checked with www.sound-in-motion.com because they just did two cars with factory radios in new issue of SPEED magazine.  Those head units are much better units than the one I have.  The only product out there that may help isn't even going to be introduced for two weeks - JL Audio's Clean Sweep.  That will apparently be made to allow factory head units to run clean.  However, that is a maybe and who knows when it will actually be sold...so it looks like I am going to get a Nakamichi CD400 head unit.  So I have that taken care of, I just need to decide what amp to get.  It would have been very frustrating to attempt to make the factory head unit work and fail. 

wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2004 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
you cannot beat the memphis belle that amp is a beast just  hope you have room for the amp but it is the best choice

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic