icon

Boss Amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jazzcustom131 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  

I was given a Boss Riot 2200 amp a little while back. It had belonged to my cousin, but he got all Alpine amps, so he gave it to me. It has an issue of getting too freakin hot when I put it through a work out. Would it be okay to remove the cover, and have a piece of plexi a couple inches above it to protect the inerds. I planon installing some little fans on either side of the amp to move air through it. This box i'm creating is going in a friends truck, and he likes the way it looks without a cover. Is this going to be okay?

Sorry to be long winded.

Lance

Greed is for amateurs.
Disorder,chaos,anarchy now THAT is fun!!
~AFAccord~ 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 1:52 AM / IP Logged  

I think it depends alot on how you plan on situating the amp and it's new "larger" vented enclosure.  If you can seal it off from the elements or any wandering objects, while using fans to get a draft blowing over it, then I'd say go for it.  But even so, it is still possible for the amp to over heat, so you should consider the amount of effort you want to put into the enclosure in case it doesn't suffice.  If the over-heating problem is very severe, you might just consider going ahead and purchasing a better amp to suit your needs.  Good luck.

Black Cherry
"Experience is something you never get until just after you need it."
Bestbuy577 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2004 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
I wouldnt reccomend doing this because the electronic circuits would attract dust. Dust will retain the heat, and with heat you have a loss in performance. What i do is actuall when i make a amp into a cooled one, i put a computer fan air filter into the system just to keep everything clean.
Best Buy Store#577 Oxford Valley, PA
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 30, 2004 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
i'd have to question why you would go to that effort for a $99 amp.........
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Bestbuy577 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2004 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  
It actually isnt too much effort...they have the filters at CompUSA and the just screw behind the fand or onto holes.
Best Buy Store#577 Oxford Valley, PA
redchevy99 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2005 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  
i always thought boss amps sucked. i have a kenwood amp and im sure its not too much better than yours but i run mine at a 2 ohm load and it never overheats on me. go on ebay and buy a better quality amp for cheap. dont waste your time or even 50 cents on rebuilding that amp.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic