Distortion At All Volume Levels

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joe12volt 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2005 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  

Hi All,

I put a new Alpine cdm-9821 hu in to replace my stock hu and it has a slight distortion at all volume levels. It doesn't make a whine and is quiet. Its just that the sound is a little distorted.

A month before, I had replaced my frt speakers with kenwood 6889ie's due to my frt stock ones going bad. It sounded ok and had no distortion.

It's a 93 ford ranger and got the HU from Crutchfield and got the wiring adapters to plug the alpine into my trucks harness.

I did the wiring by a diagrams that say what each wire goes to and the color coding happened to match up still anyways. I also connected the alpines HU ground wire to go thru my vehicles harness. ( Maybe a mistake?)

Everything seems to work OK with balance, fade, memory, and so on.

I am using it with bass and treble set to flat.

Thanks for any tips.............Joe

1993 Ford Ranger Supercab
Alpine CDM-9821 Head Unit
Alpine SPS570a 5x7 Front And Rear Speakers
Delphi SkyFi II XM Radio
theronsmith 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2005 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  

There has been some Ford trucks that i have done with the two front speaker negatives are reversed (backwards to what the wiring adaptor says)  If you have a multimeter you might want to check that out.........

chevy II
deocder 
Copper - Posts: 138
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2005 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
It could be the Alpine. Can you test it in another persons car?
joe12volt 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  

i'm new at all this so I really don't know what I'm talking about, but if both negatives were reversed, wouldn't it be back in phase?

Or would having four speakers cancel that theory out?

I'll try to test the Alpine in a friends truck too.

Thanks for the suggestions.............joe

Delphi SkyFi II XM Radio
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
joe12volt wrote:

i'm new at all this so I really don't know what I'm talking about, but if both negatives were reversed, wouldn't it be back in phase?

Well it could mean that both speakers would be out of phase (positive and negative swapped).  This usually wouldn't cause distortion at all volumes though.  Or he could mean that the negative wire for the left speaker needed to be connected to right speaker instead, and vice versa. 

Testing the Alpine in a different vehicle is probably the best thing to try first.

Does the distortion come through all of the speakers, or just the front ones?

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  

also, try wiring it straight to the battery, and getting a solid ground.  When I first installed my alpine (CDA-9807), I use the harness for power and ground, and was not impressed at all.  Someone told me that even though the manual dosen't say you need to wire it straight to the battery, that it helps alot.  Anyway, used 14 or 16 gauge wire to the battery and a solid ground, works alot better now...

Wireing it to the battery is a PITA though, so you may not want to go throught that much trouble, it's up to you.

-Drew

joe12volt 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  

Its through all the speakers. its slight but enough to be not right.

Also I noticed that it seems to hurt my ears a bit. Could that be because of phase.

Anyways, thanks to all of you for the suggestions and I will try these ideas out Saturday AM and see what gets it right. I'll check phase, ground, correct wires for appropriate speakers etc.

I let you know what I find.................Joe

Delphi SkyFi II XM Radio
joe12volt 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  

I think I found the problem and Its embarrassing I didn't try this earlier.Distortion At All Volume Levels - Last Post -- posted image.

On my HU, you can pick different frequencies to control on your bass or treble as like a priority frequency to use when adjusting either your  treble or bass.

Today I tried setting it on the highest one 17.5 kHz and it seemed to clean up the sound. also my ears didn't hurt as much either.

I didn't think that the Hu would cause a distortion type sound when set to a flat setting or 0. The default setting is at 10kHz.

Thanks for all the help........Joe

Delphi SkyFi II XM Radio

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic