icon

amp to push my brahma

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
Not when you go cadence. Average THD factor on a cadence sub is <0.034%. Perhaps on others... But cadence class D amps are phonemenal. There A B amps run at 0.044%, so yeah, enough said.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
newtone 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  

uthinkuknoaudio wrote:
Not when you go cadence. Average THD factor on a cadence sub is <0.034%. Perhaps on others... But cadence class D amps are phonemenal. There A B amps run at 0.044%, so yeah, enough said.

your still not taking into account the dampening factor, most class ds are 1 ohm with a dampening factor of 100-200 @ 4 ohms so at 1 ohm its crizap.  a good ab thd is .006% thd with a dampening factor of over 1000.  not knocking cadence, but there are better choices out there.

hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
after doing some checking i can get a cadence Z1200 and a Z4000 for 650 shipped. the Z1200 would push the sub and the Z4000 would run the inside speakers. i'm guessing this is a pretty good deal???
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
The THD specs you're talking about are absolutely worthless. Especially driving a sub. Especially in car.
I'm not knocking Cadence - I have zero experience with them. However, I certainly in a million years wouldn't buy them because of some THD rating. So, no, quoting some worthless THD number is NOT enough said.
The cleanest and most expensive car subwoofers you can buy have 1.5%+ distortion levels at 40hz. Most approach 10% under 30hz. If you think you can hear the difference playing subwoofers in car between amplifiers at 0.1% and 0.034%, or whatever the hell Cadence claims, you're fooling yourself.
Again, there might be other reasons to buy Cadence - I've never even seen one of their products. But it would be downright foolish to buy a subwoofer amp just based on some stupid THD spec the manufacturer lists.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  

kfr01 wrote:
The THD specs you're talking about are absolutely worthless. Especially driving a sub. Especially in car.
I'm not knocking Cadence - I have zero experience with them. However, I certainly in a million years wouldn't buy them because of some THD rating. So, no, quoting some worthless THD number is NOT enough said.
The cleanest and most expensive car subwoofers you can buy have 1.5%+ distortion levels at 40hz. Most approach 10% under 30hz. If you think you can hear the difference playing subwoofers in car between amplifiers at 0.1% and 0.034%, or whatever the hell Cadence claims, you're fooling yourself.
Again, there might be other reasons to buy Cadence - I've never even seen one of their products. But it would be downright foolish to buy a subwoofer amp just based on some stupid THD spec the manufacturer lists.

^^ absolutely right.

Don't limit yourself just to Cadence amps. There are plenty other and just as good amps out there.

hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
i'm not only limiting my self to cadence amps, i heard good things about them so i thought i'd check them out. i'm asking you guys to recommend some other brands i should may be look at. i'd like to spend no more than about 400 on an amp. i don't know if this is poosible or not but let me know. thanx
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
Look into crossfire, , i'll have my VR2000D next week, i'll let you know how it is.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
actually, i'm starting to become more interested in the VR100D. i dont know too much about crossfire, any good?
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
From all the research, and personal opionions i got , they look like very high quality amps.  The VR1000D would be perfect for you because its 1ohm stable.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic