icon

2nd and 3rd Ignition Wires

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2005 at 2:09 AM / IP Logged  

i know they have to be hooked up for remote start porposes to keep engine lights off and prevent tanny damage.  however, would there be a problem with a vehicle when started with the key?

today i had a 2nd ign not working on a 01 blazer when it left.  under remote start the tach on the dash wouldnt move from zero unless the key was in and turned.  a few seconds later it threw a code.  i removed that solder joint and reconneced it lower on the wire.  he had problems shifting later even under the key and we cleared the code once by removing the battery for a bit.  the second time the code came on we couldnt clear it but the vehicle shifted fine.  i told the customer to stop by autozone and have the code read.

does anyone think theres any damage from it being remote started with out 2nd ign, then being taken over with the key and driven?  there were no blown fuses, but the code remained.

MECP certified installer
hayman 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2005 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  

If its a 1996 or newer vehicle with OBDII  codes are not cleared by removing the battery cable.  You need a scan tool or a code reader that plugs in etc. to clear them.  

jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2005 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  
sroth140 wrote:

does anyone think theres any damage from it being remote started with out 2nd ign, then being taken over with the key and driven? there were no blown fuses, but the code remained.

That is the situation where damage could occur. If you were to shut the remote starter off by hitting the brake, then restarted with the key, you would be fine.
How do you know the 2nd Ignition wasn't working? The cluster is often powered by an Accessory wire, so that is not necessarily a good way of determining if the 2nd Ign is not working.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2005 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
i resoldered the 2nd ignitoin wire and the tach needle functioned normally.
my question is why wouldnt the 2nd ignition turn on once the key was in? probably since the car was already running.
MECP certified installer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic