icon

JL 12w3v2-D4 which amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blg748 
Copper - Posts: 194
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  

Foolish: the guy i bought my sub from my JL 12W3v2 D2 was using a god damn jl 500/1 on the sub and guess what ti works just fine now its not blown he didnt go crazy on bass boost or anythign tand the sensitivty wasnt turned all the way up he told me that jl said the settings to sub that he was putting abour 400-450WRMS to the sub . and SUBS can take MORE POWER in a sealed enclosure than a PORTED one so dont worry just give ur jl 350 -450WRMS ulll be fine man

audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
I run a Zapco 6.0 Mono (600W) into that sub and beat the hell out of it daily in a Stealth Box for the F-150 Harley.
blg748 
Copper - Posts: 194
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
audiocableguy: is your sub still pounding ?
petergozinya 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2005 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  

Well, mabey i was unlucky. I was also comparing my exp.with a 10in..installed and ajusted by a sound shop (earmark). It didn't bottom out or have alot of distortion all the sudden i heard it start rubbing and knew what it was. went back and they confirmed melted coils..These other guy's seem to be hitting that 12in sub with alot of power so i would take my advice with a grain of salt.

thad

damn-im-good 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2005 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
I have two JL 12w3's running off a 500 watt monoblock, (mind you I'm running it at 1 ohm which I probly shouldn't be doing), and they pound hard. 300 watts will be more than enough for one of them, are you sure that alpine's m series are one ohm stable. If they aren't you will probably void whatever warranty comes with it by running it at 1ohm but it will be enough power!! Good luck
Alpine CDA-9831, two 12" JLw3's running off of Phoenix gold 500.1 monoblock and 90.2 for speakers!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 16, 2005 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  

blg748 wrote:
But what i wanna know is can i really put 500WRS + into the sub i have even though its rated only for 300WRMS max by JL AUDIo?.

Given that the amp is providing clean, unclipped signal to the sub, it doesn't matter what the impedance load on the amp is.  It's the wattage to the woofer that is important.  There are a lot of people who successfully power subs with amps that are capable of more power than the sub is.  It's all in how carefully you set it up.  Measure the output and don't exceed the RMS of the sub.

petergozinya 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2005 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  

Foolish wrote:
I just purchased a JL audio 12w3v2-D4 and plan on wiring it for 2 ohms (which is going in a JL stealthbox for a dodge ram). Its either between a MRD-M301 or a MRD-M501 as I already have a MRV-T420 running my components and want similarly looking amps on the rack.
The sub is said to have an RMS handling wattage of 300
The M301 350wx1 RMS (2ohms @14.4v), 250wx1 RMS (2ohms @12v)
The M501 550wx1 RMS (2ohms @14.4v), 425wx1 RMS (2ohms @12v)
any and all suggestions/confirmations would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Any and all...get the m301 put the audiocontrol epicenter between your source and amp.(SHUT YOUR AMP CROSSOVER FLAT FOR SUB) PRECISLY TUNED THAT COULD SOUND LIKE TWO 12'S(to some) porly tuned that will melt your coil's or blow your surround. ROOT MEAN SQURE THERMAL RATING'S...SPEND THAT EXTRA BUCK ON PROCESING THE SIGNAL. You will find it's attributes in procesing with adaqute power is much more enhanced by control from user. there are proccesor's being made as we speak. (mabey look around) there kinda inexpensive too.(considering)

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic