icon

transmission line enclosure?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2005 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
I have a generic 8 inch sub lying around and I was thinking about building a transmission line enclosure for it. My question is is it worth it to build one and if so how do you go about calculating the dimensions for it? Would it just be better to stick it in a ported box and call it a day? Its RMS power rating is around 70 watts I think.
phuzun 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2005 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  

Give it a try.  Cant hurt anything.

www.t-linespeakers.org

www.quarter-wave.com

These are the ones I've found.  Though I've yet to attempt one.

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2005 at 11:59 PM / IP Logged  
Custom, there are a bunch of people that know A LOT about t-line speakers at diyaudio.com. Do some searches and check it out.
Also, the Loudspeaker Cookbook has a few good pages on the subject.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2005 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged  
The TL is a MUCH easier design than a vented cabinet, though more difficult to construct - the science comes with the stuffing, if you decide on a stuffed line. Here is the basic math:
Terminus = 25% of Sd_of_woofer
Opening of line = 50% of Sd_of_woofer
Length = wavelength_of_driver_Fs / 4
Driver = ideally a Qts of .4 or lower
These are the basic rules to an unstuffed line, and if you ever decide to buid one, I am sure you will not be disappointed.
Here's the link to a recent discussion regarding them.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2005 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  

Do you think this Peerless driver would be worth buying to put in a transmission line box? http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=299-218 Here's the specs: Specifications: *Power handling: 50 watts RMS/70 watts max *VCdia: 1" *Le: .65 mH *Impedance: 4 ohms *Re: 3.65 ohms *Frequency range: 36-2,000 Hz *Fs: 36 Hz *SPL: 92 dB 2.83V/1m *Vas: 2.06 cu. ft. *Qms: 3.25 *Qes: .53 *Qts: .46 *Xmax: 5 mm *Dimensions: A: 8-5/8", B: 7-1/4", C: 3-3/8".

Thanks for the help so far.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2005 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
If you want to use one of their Peerless drivers, THIS one should work much better in a TL enclosure, IMO.  I've used the "classic" in several 2-way systems and is a very smooth sounding driver, although I can't say I've tried it myself in a TL.  I have build this one, and can tell you the overall response of the Thor is pretty impressive.  But these drivers are far better than anything from Peerless....   You're not trying to build a bass box with that Peerless driver are you?
Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2005 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
The classic is indeed a GREAT choce, but I don't see why the other wouldn't work in a TL as well. The best part about a TL is the fact the the OVERALL parameters do not really have a tremendous affect on the finished product. i.e. if you build a TL for an 8, you can drop pretty much any 8 in it, as long as the Fs and Qts of the drivers are close to each other... This has been my experience, anyway... What I am really getting at, is those drivers are BOTH cheap enough that you could try either in a TL, without really breaking the bank...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2005 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  

So I should go with a tranmission line enclosure using haemphyst's formula and either of the peerless woofers with it? I'll probobly just try the sub I have right for whatever I decide to do and switch to one of the others if I dont like it... It is going to be for lower bass in a car but It dosn't really need to extend past the lower 40s probobly.

haemphyst 
Posted: January 16, 2005 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  
That driver looks to be right on the cusp of usability. An unstuffed line MIGHT not work optimally, but a stuffed line would probably be thupah thweet...
customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2005 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
I just realized that the dayton classic is an 8 ohm sub so its out of the question (would have it running bridged on an old Alpine 3523). Maybe this instead?transmission line enclosure? - Last Post -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic