the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Eclipse Ti vs. Brahma

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
(Personally, I think he is underpricing those things a bit - but they ARE kits, aren't they)

I actually mentioned that to them as well.  But they had to put the price based on the retail price of the speakers and other parts otherwise people would just buy the speakers seperate and the crossover parts elsewhere and not buy the kits.

BTW Haemphyst, weren't you supposed to e-mail me?Eclipse Ti vs. Brahma - Page 4 - Last Post -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  

kfr01 wrote:
Did you hear in person or hear any rumors about the KIT261? I'm really interested in getting as close to full-range as possible. :-)

They are also going to be offering an LCR too.  It is similar to the 261 but adding one of the CSS 4's as well.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
kfr01 wrote:
Wow, thanks for the rundown! Sounds like an awesome system man.
A couple questions, if you don't mind.
Would you go with the Marchland xo if you were building again?
Absolutely. Phil makes some of the best gear around, and the prices he charges are MORE than fair for the performance. The bang for the buck is very high. His website is www.marchandelec.com
kfr01 wrote:
Tell me about the concept of a 'passive pre-amp' if you have time. I haven't heard that term before. Also, you come analog off the JVC? Do you find this component keeps up with the rest of your system?
Thanks man - I'm just starting to catch the home audio bug. :-)
A passive pre-amp is as simple as you can get in high-end audio gear. It really boils down to nothing more than a variable resistor (potentiometer) that is in the signal path between source and amplifier stage. Most pre-amplifiers have supporting circuitry like tone controls or equalization and buffers (small operational amplifiers for impedance and signal matching) with all of their assorted inductors and capacitors. With a simple resistor in the signal path, there is nothing additional to mess with the signal, and it passes from stage to stage with an absolute minimum of modification, certainly a minimum of additional distortions and noises. It becomes considerably more important to match your components carefully. It may take a little while to get it setup just right, but the results are well worth the efforts.
Yeah, the output from the JVC is analog, sadly. I lent my (heavily modified by me, again) 50 disc Pioneer transport and (not modified at all) Audio Alchemy UltraDAC with it's upgraded PS3 to a friend of mine about two years ago. (Those of you familiar with AA will lament the loss of this wonderful company with me... let us please take a moment.) The UltraDAC was rated class B by Stereophile magazine - High marks for a 300 dollar D/A convertor. His CD player went TU, and I said "Here, use this until you get another transport." I guess I won't do THAT again - LOL. Otherwise, yeah, the DVD-A (to HELL with Sony and SACD, which, BTW, stands for "Sony Anti Copy Disc") side does an especially good job, for an analog output, I guess. I am slowly saving for an "Ah, Tjoeb!" transport, and hope to have it within the next few months.
Steven, a couple things...
1: Yeah, I was supposed to e-mail you... look for it in the morning at your work address...
2: I agree with you and the line ARRAY issue, but I certainly hope you don't feel that way about line SOURCES... You are again correct - it is true that unless VERY correctly matched, line arrays can be quite detrimental to proper sound quality.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
Steven, did you get my email today?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  

It really boils down to nothing more than a variable resistor (potentiometer) that is in the signal path between source and amplifier stage.

I think I'm starting to get this, too.  Isn't that the thing that you would put the $450 wooden knob on?

lol

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  

I thought SACD stood for Sadly, Another Crappy Disc format.

Line arrays can be furn to build and to play with, but I also agree that they are not the easiest things to LISTEN to.   Have you seen the line array projects based on a bunch of 49 cent 2" drivers in a series system without a crossover and made from 6 feet of PVC pipe?  Like I said, fun.  But for listening, give me a good 2-way system any day.

I played around with a Marchand electronic crossover a couple of years ago and found it to be very clean and highly musical.  I still prefer well-built passives, though.

So tell me more about using a poteniometer as a "passive preamp."  I thught something like that is more accurately called an attenuator... or a trim pot... But pre-amp?  What am I missing?

Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
Sadly, Another Crappy Disc - I like that...
Line ARRAYS are nororiously non-musical, with few ecxeptions, but I truly am a fan of line sources. You would LOVE my two way system I think... I can only INAGINE the hell you were put through having to listen to your described line array...
A well executed passive crossover is truly a thing to be savored, but it is really tough to use a passive crossover in a multi-amped system, wouldn't you agree?
Yes. Attenuator is MOST accurate, (because it can only REDUCE the signal coming into it) but because this device, while being completely passive AS FAR AS THE SIGNAL PATH IS CONCERNED, it does have a remote control and switching capabilities. It is widely used in the high-end community that ANY device before the amplifier can be called a pre(before)-amp. Such a device can be active or passive, and will usually contain a signal switching mechanism, which mine does.
Steven Kephart 
Posted: January 26, 2005 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

Line arrays can be furn to build and to play with, but I also agree that they are not the easiest things to LISTEN to.   Have you seen the line array projects based on a bunch of 49 cent 2" drivers in a series system without a crossover and made from 6 feet of PVC pipe?  Like I said, fun.  But for listening, give me a good 2-way system any day.

You mean something like this (the tall one)? : http://speakers.sub-optimal.net/displayimage.php?album=16&pos=7     :     http://speakers.sub-optimal.net/displayimage.php?album=16&pos=6

We have a local DIY get together at the office every year where everyone brings their projects to show off.  Those are pictures of the last one we had.  As you can see, some of them are rather creative; some using flower pots as enclosures, etc.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Steven Kephart 
Posted: January 26, 2005 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
Sadly, Another Crappy Disc - I like that...
Line ARRAYS are nororiously non-musical, with few ecxeptions, but I truly am a fan of line sources. You would LOVE my two way system I think... I can only INAGINE the hell you were put through having to listen to your described line array... 

I had to double check on the brand today, but we have the exact same planars you have.  I haven't heard them yet though.  But we do have plans for them.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic