< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gumbi_12 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2005 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Steven, when is the new line due out

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2005 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  

Personal opinion here, but if I wanted to listen to my music and I was just getting started in this industy, I would choose a good pair of 12's in the proper box. 15" subs move lots of air (hence louder ) and reach way down low with more amplitude than a brother 12" would, the tradeoff though is that most 12's will produce a much more lively type of output for you to listen to on a daily basis. A 12 can play just as deep as a 15" can, especially if the box type is the same, but most cannot do it with the same amplitude across the lower frequency range.

If I wanted to enjoy my tunes (of all types) I would not be using a 15", I would be using a pair of 12" or a pair of 10" and call it a day. A properly designed and installed system like this can leave many a jaw on the floor.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2005 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:

Personal opinion here, but if I wanted to listen to my music and I was just getting started in this industy, I would choose a good pair of 12's in the proper box. 15" subs move lots of air (hence louder ) and reach way down low with more amplitude than a brother 12" would, the tradeoff though is that most 12's will produce a much more lively type of output for you to listen to on a daily basis. A 12 can play just as deep as a 15" can, especially if the box type is the same, but most cannot do it with the same amplitude across the lower frequency range.

If I wanted to enjoy my tunes (of all types) I would not be using a 15", I would be using a pair of 12" or a pair of 10" and call it a day. A properly designed and installed system like this can leave many a jaw on the floor.

Congregation:   AMEN!

If you want more bass consider moving up the line in terms of quality, not getting a larger cone.  Ussually, with any given line of subwoofers, the motor sturcture stays the same between 10-12-15" modles.  Only the cone gets bigger and this larger air piston is harder to control, the bass gets sloppy and less defined.  The gains from going to a 15 from a 12 with most product lines are marginal, if you want more bass go up a line.  No one company has the market covered on effeint, 200$, 300-400w 12" subs.  What was your sub before?  I'm guessing something low-end, that would explaine your weak bassline.

It seems like you and I listen to the same stuff and the bass I get from the 10's I run (i have several cars each with a system) fills the cabin and has good punch.  People who know little about car audio are always surprised you can get that sound out of one subwoofer.  Soon I'll upgrade my suburban subwoofer to a better sub, but it will be a 12, the cabin is just huge.  Personally I only recommend 15" subwoofers to bassheads.

Just a opinion.

What will you get for Christmas, bad boy? Coal........or Visonik?? - stevdart
Wow, is everyone clueless and lost in the dark? - uthinkuknoaudio
Glowinlow22 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2005 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  

i'm always in favor of opinions from people, sometimes they shed light on things you wouldnt otherwise think about, my sub isnt low end like pyle, or sony i've got a rockford fosgate he punch 10" svc its a 200 watt rms sub in a custom glass box i just built, the lack of thump is probably the amps fault as i have no idea what it really puts out, but i'm guessing its around 100 watts and since its a 4 ohm sub i have no idea if that amp puts out max power at 4 ohms or not, i'm planning to upgrade the amp to something that the new subs will take right to but wont kill this sub, my plan is a memphis 500 watt @2 ohm it puts out 250@4 ohm which isnt so far off what i need, the encloser i have is right around the perfect size for this sub so i'm not to worried about smokin it since i dont plan to crank up the gain with the 10", i had been planning on 12s but another member pointed me towards the 15" tempests which seem like a really good sub for the money,  define bass head, what characterists make a person a bass head? personally i love when the bass line shakes your whole body and if possible the car a block down the street,  i've heard 15s i've heard 10s i've heard 2 10s hit as hard as a single 15 and i've heard the difference between the 2, i really want a setup that will yeild good spl as well as have decent sq, the tempests seem to fit that bill pretty good, i also have a lot of space to put these subs in, i'm using sealed enclosures as well to tighten up the bass alittle i'm still considering 12s but the 15s are deffinatly looking good to me especially since i'm trying not to spend more than 600 for subs and an amp now if someone knows a really good sub for around 300 bucks that will pound as hard as 2 15s on 500 watts @ 2ohms by all means let me know i'd be more than happy to change my plan if it will yeild a better spl/sq mix

J~

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 28, 2005 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  
heavilymedicate wrote:

If you want more bass consider moving up the line in terms of quality, not getting a larger cone.  Ussually, with any given line of subwoofers, the motor sturcture stays the same between 10-12-15" modles.  Only the cone gets bigger and this larger air piston is harder to control, the bass gets sloppy and less defined. 

Sorry, but I don't agree with that.  A 15" (or even larger) speaker can sound just as good as any smaller speaker.  You are correct that most speakers in a line share the same motor.  What you end up with on the larger speakers is higher efficiency, has a higher output potential, and has more low end.  However the cost is a much larger enclosure requirement.   Now sometimes the manufacturer will adjust the spider stiffness to tweak those differences a little.  But that won't effect the transient response either. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2005 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
[quote]Sorry, but I don't agree with that. A 15" (or even larger) speaker can sound just as good as any smaller speaker. [/quote]
^^^ I agree. I bet not many people have read that transient response of a subwoofer write up by Adire Audio.
Anyway, if you want mega-bass with descent Sound Quality, I recommend either 2 15inch Cerwin Vega Strokers or 1 18ing Vega Stroker. Either of thse will get you over 150Dbcomparing 12 and 15 subs - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Glowinlow22 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2005 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  

wow, over 150db? thats alittle loud for my needs,  plus i'm budgeting to 300 for subs give or take 50 or 60 over that if the subs are worth it, and 300 for an amp again give or take 50 or 60 if the value is there, the current setup i have worked out falls short of my 600 budget, as i'm going to get 2 15" adire tempests, and run a  memphis mc500d to power them at a 2 ohm load this will give me a base line setup, if i need more i will upgrade the amp to 800 watts, if i get to taht point i'll probably just buy new subs and an amp to push them but this setup should get me nice and loud, i was planning to build sealed boxes, but i'm not 100% sure that i will be doing that though, since i listen to metal, and rap its kinda hard to say which will work better without listening first, i doubt the tempest will dissapoint me on noise even in a sealed box, i've heard sealed subs get super low and loud, if anyone has any more suggestions feel free to add them i'm still looking over subs, a couple kicker l7s look pretty nice, i could probably get 1 15" and get nice thump out of it i'm also thinking about memphis subs, diamond audio 15s, and some of the lower priced jl audio subs, but the tempests are lookin promising.

J~

97Avalonxls 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2005 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
one tempest, a nice 500 watts, bass delemna solved
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic