icon

Unanswered Resistor Question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eiknujrac 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2005 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  

I've searched for topics regarding resistors, and have read them all, however none of them have answered my question.

Here it goes: I have a 6 ohm DVC sub, and a 2 channel amplifier that is 2 ohm stable stereo, 4 ohm stable mono. Currently, i have the sub wired series to 12 ohms, and it's not nearly as loud as i know it can be. But If i wire it parallel, that gives me 3 ohms, which is too low for my amp to be stable at. Is there a way to wire a resistor in SERIES with the sub to INcrease the resistance? (most the topics were about lowering resistance). And if you did this, could you fool the amp into seeing 4 ohms and running stable? If so, what value resistor would i use to make the 3 ohm sub run at 4 ohms?

THANKS!

eiknujrac 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2005 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  

Anyone?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2005 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
Not a good idea.  Replace your sub or your amp.
Support the12volt.com
Jay T 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2005 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
I remember reading about this before.  Theoreticllay you could run @ 3ohm bridged.  The only time you would drop below the 4 ohm mark would be around 22hz or so.  Which you're probably not.  If you were to wire in a resistor in line. You would be sucking about 1/4 of your power just into the resistor (3 ohm sub load plus 1 ohm resistor). Depending on the size or your amp, this could be a considerable amount of power. I'd look into running at 3 ohms safely instead. Then you'd also be getting maximum potintial out of your amp.
Jay T 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2005 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
You could just get another sub and run two also
audeogod 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2005 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  

The reason that this is not a good idea is that like Jay T said, the resistor will be using 1/4 of your power that you would gain by dropping to 4 ohms.  The sub would get the other 3/4 power.  Even though the sub will be getting more power than it is now in 12 ohm series, the resistor will be dissipating the other 1/4 power in the form of heat only(of course no sound output).  You would have to get a resistor that could stand at least 100 watts or more.  I can tell you for certain that you will not find this at Radio Shack.  And by the time you did locate one that could stand the power it would have to take, you will pay as much for it as you would a new subwoofer.

audeogod
92 Chevrolet Cheyenne 1/2 ton truck
Pioneer DEH-41
Eclipse 2-way coaxial 4x6's in dash
Eclipse 3-way coaxial 6 1/2's in doors(cut to fit)
Pioneer GM-X332 amp bridged to Kicker 8" sub
eiknujrac 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2005 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks guys!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic