icon

R/S only - use OEM remote for doorlocks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
brcidd 
Copper - Posts: 274
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2005 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
So... What is everybody's opinion of the R/S only where you carry a teardrop quarter sized remote with only one button- to start the car?   You are still supposed to carry the OEM keyless entry remote for all other functions-- because" why would you want to lock/unlock/pop trunk from 1200 ft away??"  This is what I was told when I checked it out at a local installer-- They are getting $199 for this on ALL vehicles-   They use the Audiovox system and say they are selling like hotcakes.  I still prefer to put it all on one remote- And store the OEM remote in a drawer-  But this concept is interesting if nothing else but to ease the installs-- Does anybody else sell these R/S only models?  Any thoughts... Thanks for the great Forum..
Brcidd - Engineer That Does Remote Starter Installs on the side.
TJ92Civic 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2005 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  

I wouldn't want to carry around 2 remotes.  Having one remote is enough for me.  Plus, some cars, the factory keyless entry will not work if the car is runnung (start the car and see if you can unlock / lock doors with factory remote).  It's just kinda half-assed if you ask me.

tim

iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2005 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
I think the add-on remote starts are kinda cool, although limited by the factory keyless range. I prefer integrated units with start/keyless though over carrying 2 remotes. The sales guy that tried to pitch you on the "why would you want to lock/unlock/pop trunk from 1200 ft away??" is pretty clever though. But he's obviously grasping and trying to sell you on his product. I think carrying one remote is pretty bulky so 2 would be even worse. But if you don't care then go right ahead. My cousin just wanted a one button starter for his house when he gets up in the morning. He doesn't even carry the remote. He leaves it on the window sill in the bathroom and starts it in the morning then takes a quick shower and heads out. I did see a shop install a one button start on my uncle's new Explorer Sport-trac that renders the factory remote useless until he turns the remote start off. He carries around 2 remotes and it doesn't seem to bother him.
TJ92Civic 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2005 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
Actually that salesman is pretty bad.  Why wouldn't you want to make more money by selling an all in one set?  lol. 
iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2005 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe he was out of stock on the better unit.
TJ92Civic 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2005 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  

Or maybe he is lazy.  lol.  But it all depends on what you want.  If you wanna carry 2 remotes or not.  If you can remote unlock it when its running.  How much you wanna spend?

tim

Falcon 1 
Copper - Posts: 130
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2005 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
For $199 don't you think you can shop around and find something better without having the inconvenience of 2 remotes. They probably get those things for under $50 and charging $150 for a basic install with no locks or trunk to me is a little much.
Do it right the first time, only a doctor can bury his mistakes.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic