Checking (-) Signal Duration

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Zilverado 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  

Hi Guys,

Thanks again to all the guys and/or gals who helped me out on a related topic in the "Relays" Forum forum. I thought I would post this next thread (possibly relay related) here...

I self-installed a ProStart car starter (I know - - apparently they're crap - - I know) in my '92 Pathfinder this last fall. The unit is working well, exept that it seems that the (-) pulse for the trunk (which I wired to my rear hatch window) is not a pulse afterall, but a sustained signal, meaning the solenoid keeps the latch open - problem. It is curently not hooked up. I talked to Canadian Tire about this and they said they do not warranty units that are not installed by them. I may fight this with them a bit, but in the meantime I have 2 questions....

1)  How do I use my multi-meter to check the (-) signal. I want to check the duration. I know how to check a 12V (+), but not sure about the (-), or is it the same? Please excuse me if this is a stupid question.

2)  If it turns out that I don't get anywhere with Canadian Tire, and I'm forced to work with the "faulty" module, is it possible to intall a relay or something to convert the sustained signal into a pulse? The more detail the better - - I'm learning about this stuff as I go.

Thanks for your patience here. I know I've posted about this before, but keep coming up with different issues to ask about. I appreciate the help.

Zilverado,
Backyard Mechanic
1986 Chevy Truck & 1992 Nissan Pathfinder
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  

put the positive lead of the meter in +12v and the ground lead in the hatch release output wire...when the channel is activated, it will show ground for however long its output is..in your case it may stay that way.  if you cant find a 12v wire back there..set your meter to continuity check and put one lead in ground and the other lead on that wire and when u activate the channel..the meter will beep, or at least give you a resistance reading of something low like .002 ohms

Zilverado 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the quick replies. If I think of it now, that was a pretty simple solution - - duuuh.

Any thoughts on question 2?

Zilverado,
Backyard Mechanic
Zilverado 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2005 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  

Well, the verdict is in - - the "pulse" is not a "pulse" after all. When the remote button is pressed, I get a sustained signal of 12.72V(+) on the trunk release lead.

So, tomorrow it's off to Canadian Tire the get me a new module. Hope all goes well.

Thanks again for the help.

Zilverado,
Backyard Mechanic

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic