icon

i bought a routor

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rhdAndy 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2005 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
 bought a router, and i messed around with it for about 30 minutes, and well lets just says i need to get better at measuring, i was wondering does evryone here make there own rings, and how long did it take you t get where you are today , is it something that i can do that will help me, does anyone have types adn sites to go to for guidence.
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2005 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
I have 4 routers lol. I had to experiement and find my own method to which I could effectivly cut circles. What I do is take a peice of scrap wood thats large enough to make accurate mesurments and cut big enough holes as well as mount the router. I start off by cutting out a hole for the router bit to fit through. I usually use a 1/2" bit for 1/2" MDF and a 3/4" bit for 3/4" MDF so keep that in mind when figuring out how long the hole it. Once it router is mounted I figure out where the bit is going to come through. I then do some math. If I'm cutting a hole for a 10, I need a 9" hole (generically speaking, some speakers require slightly larger or smaller holes) so I measure out 4.5"'s from the outside cutting edge of the router bit and then drill a 3/17" hole (just a hole big enough for a screw to fit) and then I can mount the router to the wood I want to cut and make a circular cut fast and accurately. When I make my rings I usually just measure out an extra inch to give myself plenty of room and cut the outside of the ring first i bought a routor - Last Post -- posted image. Thats how I do it, hope it helps.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
rhdAndy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2005 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
im using about the same idea, have you ever cut out a rounded rectangle, how would you go about getting the same edges, oh i just had i thought you just make a make shift jig for each edge you want to cut and secure the scape wood at the pivot point, . okay does it sound rihgt?
xclusivecustoms 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
Making rings is fairly straightfoward, but if you are planning to make a lot of rings then you should think about getting a circle jig. I usually use a 1/4" spiral cut bit for my rings in all thickness woods.
xclusivecustomsinc.com
93accordSE 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
circle jigs work wonders, i have a lexan one, works great at what its supposed to do.
rhdAndy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
where could one come to aquire on of these circle jigs, do i need a guide kit to use it?
xclusivecustoms 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
Select Products has one
xclusivecustomsinc.com
ajgonzales 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
amazon.com has the jasper circle jig
hzemall 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
The Jasper circle jig is the best hands down, the pin system is great !
If you new to routers, there are some really good router books on the market that really show what a router can do, then you can just modify the practises to what you are doing...........
Tim Baillie
Installer/Designer/Fabricator
Certified Autosound & Security
rhdAndy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
thanks everyone, you all have been a big help.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic