Remote Start (RPM Rev) Question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Kongo 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2005 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
Hello,
I have the Viper 790xv on my 97 Honda Accord. I installed it and have my clutch bypassed so I can remote start.
The remote start was working fine for the first 4-5 months, but now it's stopped working. The engine cranks for about 2 seconds and never starts.
When I ran the diagnostic as to why this was happening, it came back, according to the 3 LED blinks, as "Low or No RPM".
I've tried to relearn the tach, but it's not helping. I've also tried to relearn the tach when my engine is cold - no change in outcome.
So, I tried this: Put the key in the ignition in the "On" position and try to remote start. IT WORKS. It just doesn't work remotely... =(
So, I'm thinking maybe a blown ignition fuse, or a messed up remote start relay. I can't really check the fuse right now - too dark and no flaslight.
Any help from the alarm gurus here?
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
have you try using another tach source at diff location? it may help. if not, tryin swtiching over to voltsense.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 1:22 AM / IP Logged  
thats not really an answer profuse007.
i would suggest checking all of the wire harness connections. did you do the install? if so, did you connect the wires in a manner you trust to stay connected (like solder and tape)? when you reprogrammed the tach, did the LED come on or not respond at all? and finally, can you enter the normal programming menus 1,2, and 3 as you should be able to?
MECP certified installer
Kongo 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 2:00 AM / IP Logged  
Hmm... My good friend, who is a guru himself, did the install. He's gonna look into it, but he lives an hour away, so I'm just trying to do what I can on my own.
To profuse007, what do you mean using another tach source - I'm not familiar with that phrase. And I don't really know how to switch to volt sensor (don't you need the Bitwriter for that anyways?)
sroth140, to answer your questions:
1. Yes, I'm sure the wires are properly connected.
2. The LED did come on to confirm that it learned the tach.
3. Entering the programming modes is no problem at all.
It's just odd that it starts when the key is in the ignition in the "on" position and it's remote started (using the remote)... I feel like that should tell me something (i.e. ignition issues?) but I'm not experienced or knowledgeable to know what.
I hope the help keeps coming... I'm learning as I go...
...Thanks in advance to all you....
David.
Kongo 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
bump? still looking for some more help...
Kongo 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
one last attempt.... bump.
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
its not ignition if it enters programming. the other guy that posted is wrong because the tach worked before, and for a few months. voltage sense is an alternative to tach, but thats not the answer. it worked before, and the tach is learning.
i would suggest checking the toggle switch or hood pin switch (if installed). i dont know if its failing to engagne the sequence or if theres atleast a click. Some vehicles the starter wire is actually connected when you push the clutch in, so you might have a bad connection on the relay involved there. if so, there would be no cranking, but i cant explain the starting when already in the On position.
MECP certified installer
Kongo 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  

thanks so much for the attempt to help sroth140...

i will check out the things you mentioned. 

i guess the thing is that it cranks when remoted started, but never engages.  but when the key is in the ignition, then it starts right away.

weird situation. 

david.

Boomin' taurus 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
do you hear the parking light relay click or see the parking lights flash after you have 'learned the tach' ? if 'NO' then you truly didn't learn the signal.
get back to me, i have a few other suggestions.
-john
Kongo 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 3:54 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks John,
When I learn the tach, the parking light relay does click...
I don't get it. This past week, one time (one LUCKY time), the auto-start HAPPENED to work. But all the other times, it just cranks and dies.
HELP!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic