icon

Steel box, take 2

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 1:50 AM / IP Logged  

O.k., I had tried to post this a while ago, and it didn't seem to work, and I think I know why now. If anyone still remembers or even cares,  here is the link to the original attempt at posting it. And here is the new attempt...let me know if you can see it.

Steel box, take 2 -- posted image.

I know the picture's kind of small, but if anybody's interested, I can e-mail much larger pics.

You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 3:52 AM / IP Logged  
How does this version sound? What did you do differently?
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
97Avalonxls 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
yeah, is this the same box, updated? or a new one all together? how's it sounding?
chevyman26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
This is actually a pic of the original version.  I haven't gotten around to doing anything to it lately, and the sub is back in my MDF box for now. It really was tough to get it in and out of the truck, too. I don't have a third door and the only way to get it back there is lifting it over the top of the seat when the seat is all the way forward.  This thing is heavy and I'm no Schwartzenegger. So that was a little discouraging. I am still going to do more, it's just that a guy tends to be busy in the middle of winter in Minnesota. I'll post again when I get results, but it'll probably be after everyone's forgotten about this thing again, lol.
You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
mrflip69 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
This wouldn't cause any problems with the sub's magnet?
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
mrflip69 I wouldn't think so but that is a good point
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
so how did it sound?
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  

hmm....i think 1/8" would have been thick enough.lol

Try aluminum next time?

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
chevyman26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 1:43 AM / IP Logged  

I had wondered about the magnet thing too. I have no idea if there was any effect on it or not.  As for sound, it wasn't bad. The internal volume is a little big for the sub, so I didn't use it for too long, or too loud, but it sounded kind of like somebody in the vehicle next to you at the stoplight  had something really big in their car.  Really deeper than my usual box, but distant sounding. The distant sound was probably mostly from not turning it up for fear of frying things.  It was really solid, though. You could put your hand on the side of the box and barely feel any vibration. I'm sure the sound and power handling will improve when I add enough sound deadening material to take up some airspace.

Here is another angle...

Steel box, take 2 -- posted image.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged  
mrflip69 wrote:
This wouldn't cause any problems with the sub's magnet?
No. It would cause NO issue whatsoever with the magnet. Ht just built a 12 inch shielding cup, that's all. Would seem to be pretty video friendly, now. Steel box, take 2 -- posted image.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic