icon

My house setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gabrielsynn 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 2:48 AM / IP Logged  
First off, keep in mind that this was not done with sound quality in mind, it was merely done to see how well things would hold up, so I REALLY skimped on everything.
OK, it goes like this....I got bored one day, realized that my car stereo was a lot louder than all my house stereos, and it made me think. Are they really louder because they're compressing a much smaller space, or are they really just made to be louder to drown out engine noise?
Well, over Christmas break, I got my chance to find out. My clutch went out, leaving me stranded at a truck stop in the middle of nowhere for 12 hours, so I just decided to ditch my car there and hitch a ride home. I gutted the speakers, grabbed the stereo I planned on installing, pulled all my stuff out, and left...I get back to my fiance's dads house, and I've got 2 empty computer cases, a car stereo, an amp, a small speakerbox with a pair of 6 1/2" 3 ways in it, and a twisted mind. 10 minutes later, everything's wired, and I'm rigging a switch to the ATX connector on one of the PSUs. As of right now, I've got 2 200 watt power supplies running a Durabrand (walmart cheapo) cd player, the 3 ways running off the front inputs, and a 5.1 surround sound setup running off the preouts. I've spent less than $100 on the whole setup, and I've compared it to a Pioneer house setup. It's almost definitely psychoacoustics messing with me, but my setup seems louder. Even if it isn't, I've still got a decent enough setup that my optical mouse jumps when the bass hits, and the sub's all the way across the room from my desk. Hopefully I'll be able to get 2 400w power supplies within the next 3 weeks or so, when I have those, I'm also getting a line converter and I'll be amping the 3 ways. After that comes a pair of 6x9s and a custom box for them, then a custom housing for the stereo and an amp rack, plus professional looking wiring. The last step will be a stereo upgrade, replacing the cheapo with an Alpine or an Eclipse deck.
So that's my setup, has anyone else here gone absolutely nuts with a homebuilt system?
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  

I've seen 40 watt x 2 amps with a 150 watt self powered sub absolutely rattle a place apart.

The stuff they're selling in stores today is such junk. I wanted to get some stereo speakers, nothing special, just a 6"-8" woofer, 2 or 3 way...ready made.

The last pair I had were Yamaha, about $100 for the pair. Nice speakers for the money, I bought them in '93!

I left them with my ex gf because they were old anyways. They just don't offer the same quality in home audio that was available around ten years ago. Antoher ex gf had threw a chair through one of the mid ranges, it was ripped, but still worked just as good as the other.

I saw a pair of Sony speakers rated 20-50k Hz.....wtf? I need speakers for me, not a dog!

xaudiopipex 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
it must be nice to be able to be home loger then to sleep
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
It's all about room acoustics. check out this website for more on home audio.
http://www.audioholics.com
Also check out their forum. Should remind you of this forum.
Paul
joebobcletusjr 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
I used to DJ, and when I did, I used 4-18 inch subs. when I didn't have any shows to do I hooked my system up in my house, and the first time I did it, I had my neighbor from accross the street come over yelling at me with a picture with no glass in it, he said that I knocked it off of his wall, and told me that I probably broke his window (well I didn't break his window) but I had a friend a few days later drive down the road with my systme up in my house and see how far it could be heard, he said that he went 4 blocks away and could still hear the bass.

The 18s were RF (I can't remeber what model) and the boxes I built for them were taller than me.  So when I quit DJing I put 2 of them in my car with 2-12 inch subs and it was really nice for setting off car alarms at the mall (come on,  I was 17 and there wasn't really anything else to do).

Car subs, in my opionon will definetely have a better frequencey response, and some really killer bass when you face them tightly into the corners of a square room creating a kind of un-tuned bandpass.  I am all for using car audio in my house, especially  when it comes to my home theater.
eh? what did you just say?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic