icon

Security software for in-car PC

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joebobcletusjr 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys, I am currently working on a new project and I need a little help with some resources.

I am installing a PC in my car for MP3s, Entertainment, GPS, engine diagnostics, built in wireless access, and hopefully security.

which brings me to my question; I want to install an alarm program which could be far more advanced than many others on the market.  All I want is just a basic program to be able to interface with things like headlights, starter, door locks, windows, sunroof, and the various motion/shock sensors.

Am I just dreaming that something like this exists, maybe I need to learn some more HTML, and have to design this myself.

One idea that I had was allowing the pc to scan for the unprotected wireless connections (which in Boise are everywhere) when ever one is present and, if some security function is not turned off every 24 or 48 hours e-mail me with the wherabouts of my car in the event it is stolen.

I know that the pc in a car idea is not original and many have done this in the past, but I have yet to see one with integrated, advanced, security.

If anyone knows of software that has been developed, please let me know.

eh? what did you just say?
joebobcletusjr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
I did it again!!!  I hate MS word, I keep forgetting to not paste from Word, sorry.

Can someone with power, please remove that?

What that should have been was:

Hey guys, I am currently working on a new project and I need a little help with some resources.

I am installing a PC in my car for MP3s, Entertainment, GPS, engine diagnostics, built in wireless access, and hopefully security.

which brings me to my question; I want to install an alarm program which could be far more advanced than many others on the market.  All I want is just a basic program to be able to interface with things like headlights, starter, door locks, windows, sunroof, and the various motion/shock sensors.

Am I just dreaming that something like this exists, maybe I need to learn some more HTML, and have to design this myself.

One idea that I had was allowing the pc to scan for the unprotected wireless connections (which in Boise are everywhere) when ever one is present and, if some security function is not turned off every 24 or 48 hours e-mail me with the wherabouts of my car in the event it is stolen.

I know that the pc in a car idea is not original and many have done this in the past, but I have yet to see one with integrated, advanced, security.

If anyone knows of software that has been developed, please let me know.
Basscoholic23 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
Have you tried posting your question at www.mp3car.com ? they were very helpful with my carpc project.  hope this helps. good luck on you project
CBill 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  

Never heard a software like this but I am sure you can find someone to write such software if you can convict them there a market for it ..

Also as for telling you where the car is .. just emailing you won't cut it and no ISP will give up the location of the ip address where the email came from without a court order which would taken forever to get so I would make sure the  software have a GPS (Global Satelite Postioning) and email you the location of where the car is when it detects an wireless  ..

Another thing is you need to have a open smtp port to send out emails and on wireless you have no way knowing which smtp is avaiable so you would have to operate one and make sure it not on port 25 because ISP are blocking this ports to prevent spammer using china smtp to spam back into USA or have the software use a webmail imap/smtp instead ..

And why not have it email you everytime a wireless was detected so you wouldn't have to worry about for it to actived and start emailing if the car was stolen instead having it running all the time .. So 2 bonus for that .. one it always doing it whatever the car is stolen or not and second you will know all the wireless hotspot as you drive around in town ..

There is a software that seek and records of all the wireless spot using GPS but I don't know if it got a email capiably .. it's called netstumbler and you can goggle it to find the website on it ..

Good luck ..

Bill

iday 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
as far as physically interfacing with your car, you can buy a relay board that is controlled via the parrallel port.  The coding for controling the relays isnt too complicated, usually its done in vb
joebobcletusjr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
CBill wrote:

Never heard a software like this but I am sure you can find someone to write such software if you can convict them there a market for it ..

Also as for telling you where the car is .. just emailing you won't cut it and no ISP will give up the location of the ip address where the email came from without a court order which would taken forever to get so I would make sure the  software have a GPS (Global Satelite Postioning) and email you the location of where the car is when it detects an wireless  ..

Another thing is you need to have a open smtp port to send out emails and on wireless you have no way knowing which smtp is avaiable so you would have to operate one and make sure it not on port 25 because ISP are blocking this ports to prevent spammer using china smtp to spam back into USA or have the software use a webmail imap/smtp instead ..

And why not have it email you everytime a wireless was detected so you wouldn't have to worry about for it to actived and start emailing if the car was stolen instead having it running all the time .. So 2 bonus for that .. one it always doing it whatever the car is stolen or not and second you will know all the wireless hotspot as you drive around in town ..

There is a software that seek and records of all the wireless spot using GPS but I don't know if it got a email capiably .. it's called netstumbler and you can goggle it to find the website on it ..

Good luck ..

Bill

I work for an ISP that provides everything from residential dial up, DSL to a dedicated framed T1, we even have wireless (no longer offered but we have a large customer base on it) anyway, we have a program for our laptops that gives us the signal strength by pinging the wireless arrays around town, and the ping time and signal stregnth can be used in a formula to determine the distance between the sending and recieving signals.  each wireless array has it's own unique identification number that includes a 3 digit code that gives it general location, down to a block.

I could write a script to run these figures through a macro to automatically figure the distance, and I could possible learn to write the program for the security program, but I was hoping I could be lazy on that one, and someone would already have a program designed that I could purchase a license to for under a gu-zillion dollors (yes gu-zillion... its... its a word.).

the idea of having it constatnly scanning for wireless would be a great idea, rather than having it do it only scan when I do not de-activate some program or switch, that and I would know when I am in a hotspot.  maybe I could program it to beep or light up a LED bar on my dash showing the signal strength.

I think I am trying to do too many things that have not yet been done, or that are not done often enough, so I have very few resources to do what I want, so I am just going to go for it and start work on the PC, and I will figure out the programming later.

I will try to take some PICs along the way.

Thanks for all of your help, and I checked out mp3car.com, and that seems like I will find some very good info there.
bretbowman 
Copper - Posts: 156
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  

Clifford (with Cliffnet Wizard software and interface cable) is the closest thing that I've seen, but it doesn't do ALL that.  Just the alarm stuff.

Good luck!

2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 2WD (Clifford G5 Avantguard 5 w/ 2 SmartWindows modules) - IT Engineer - NRA Life Member - LDS Return Missionary - Married for time AND ETERNITY - Eternally sealed family
joebobcletusjr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2005 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
I have looked at that clifford, and it is close, and would probably be a good start.

Thanks!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic