icon

1999 Honda Civic Factory Alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
natsys 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
I'm installing a Crimestopper remote start only in my sister's 1999 Honda Civic. She has the factory alarm system--sorry I don't know the specific model of Civic--and from what I've seen from searching the forums this might be a problem.
She uses the alarm regularly but from what I've gathered it is not compatable with another remote system. The Crimestopper model is RS900--it comes with two remotes for lock/unlock, trunk pop (I'm adding this too), and start. It has "factory arm" and "factory disarm" wires that I've used successfully on past installs where the vehicle had a factory alarm, but it doesn't look like there is any way to arm and disarm the factory Honda Civic alarm system other than through the original key fob remote.
So my question is, can she have the factory alarm AND the remote start, or is it a case of one or the other? Thanks in advance for your expertise.
-Rob
wblakes 
Copper - Posts: 202
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
i think for those alarm that only arms with the orginal remote can't be integrated with aftermarket. so i guess it's one or the other.
secureauto 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2005 at 2:23 AM / IP Logged  
I haven't seen a 99 civic with a factory alarm, unless if it has an aftermarket keyless entry upgrade alarm tied in to it. You should be ok with the Crimestopper, you can find most of the wires at the keyless module in the drivers kick panel.
1999 Civic wiring
Try this link for more info.
ASE Certified
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2005 at 4:53 AM / IP Logged  
if the remotes say honda on it, then wblakes is correct. you can't have both, unless you want to carry both remotes. to remove it, you will need to get to the brain which is actually housed as part of the factory radio. i'm a little surprised that a 99 civic would have this though, because this factory alarm was far more common on the 96 to 98. many of the 99 civics had factory cd players, so the head unit was no longer just a radio with a cassette unit below in front of the cup holder. those were the only type of radios that could fit the factory alarm brain.
all problems can be resolved with a hammer
natsys 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2005 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
You're all right. I don't know about 99 Civics, but this one is a 98--at least according to the door tag and registration. I don't know why my sister thinks it's a 99. Maybe that's what the salesman told her when he sold her the car and hosed her for some extra $$.
Thanks for the input. We decided to go with the Crimestopper and deep six the factory system. Install went well and everything works as it should.
-Rob

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic