the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

bi-amping components correctly?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
deocder wrote:
Wow! Great stuff! I had no idea about the phase shift relative to the crossover slope. I wonder if manufacturers of passive crossovers take this into account, since phase is also relative to the position of the speaker. There are are so many variations possible....
Your better quality controlled companies will allow for it, either in the marking of the terminal, or proper selection of drivers... They look at the absolute phase of the driver, (in addition to all of the other specs) and allow/compensate for it in construction techniques...
deocder wrote:
I chceked out the specs on my amps....not sure how they rate in the scheme of things though.....not that it matters at this point, they are definitely being installed.
S/N - >100 dB
DF - >400 at output connector
Slew rate - >30 V/us
At lease they were listed...
I'm not to clear on weather or not you guys use something to protect the tweeter when using an active crossover system. Could you clarify?
Those are decent specs, that's a pretty good slew rate. What kind of amp is that?
Personally, I have never used anything to "protect" my tweeters - I have never heard anything sonically "neutral" enough for me. Relays work OK, but the automatic circuitry can be complicated, OR you can simply wire a relay to a switch in your dash, and you can turn the tweeters on manually, about 5 seconds or so after all of your other speakers come on.
deocder wrote:
Also, are there active crossovers that have variable phase adjustability? I'll search for the answer, but if so, do you find that beneficial?
I feel like i'm digging way deep into the particulars..... I guess thats the perfectionist inside me though.
The only way you can have no phase distorion at all, or allow for phase distortions is with a digital crossover - and I mean ALL digital. All of the circuitry must modify the signal in the digital domain, which means A/D stages and D/A stages. Because of the additional analog conversion stages in the device, they will be necessarily expensive, this will also give an idea of the quality of the component. In my car, I use two of the UCSPro from Alto. One on the subwoofer and one on the front stage. This is about 1500 dollars worth of signal processing, so don't try to feed ME the old "perfectionist inside of me" line... bi-amping components correctly? - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic