icon

cloth or mat?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stuntjester1 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I started build my first fiberglass speaker box, and after you do the fabric and resin. Should I buy fiberglass mat or cloth to start layering? and how many layers are need. 4-5?? Thanks
boricuaso 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  
i havent build many boxes , but i prefer using the mat,its easy to lay along dificult surface, and depending on the area size ill do from four to 6 layers, if the area is too big ill brace for strenght.
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
Buy both and see what you like best. Mat works better on sharp curves. Cloth is usually easier to work with and will also be easier to get a good finish with. When it comes down to it, it's all about personal preferance. 4-5 layers is most likly not gonna be enough. I'd say more like 7-8 layers. I honestly don't even count the layers anymore as I know when enough is enough. If it won't flex under thumb pressure, it won't flex under speaker pressure.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Drocay 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
personally i like to do my first or base layer with cloth its cleaner, smoother, and easier to work with but after that i use mat and because your first layer has resin on it the mat will stick on its own and be easier to work with. always use a dabbing motion it'll get bubbles out and keep it from moving.
good luck
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  

Nik, that piece I posted from the lid design couldn't be flexed by a thumb... It took two arms bending it at a fair amount of strength. Wouldn't that theoretically work on the thumb rule? Given I'd still use MDF for a straight section like that, but I dunno, using the thumb rule it is perfectly fine.

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
stuntjester1 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
ok, the area is pretty small, so ill probly do 5-6 to be sure it good. I got a friend that did some fiberglass work on a old race bike body i had, ill see if he give me some mat and cloth to try. Thanks for the help. When i get done, ill post all the pictures.
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
Master Asylum, that was a flat peice, outside of a box. It it was one wall on a box, it would be much more likly to flex.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
slociv 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2005 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
I would recommended using mat for sub boxes. Do you have pictures of the area?
-SloCiv
stuntjester1 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2005 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  
yea i got both, and got the first layer of mat on know, but had to go back to school so hoping to finsh it next weekend. Ill post all the pics up when i get done, going to lay some layers inside to help make sure its strong. Better to over do than under.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic