icon

The best Cheap amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boricuaso 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2005 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  
my first amp was a BOSS 800w pushing 2 15" hifonics or something hercules, lol, it was cheap and loud. for a first system build is ok, if your new to car audio and or dont have lots of money the generic stuff can still rock.
iairj84 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2005 at 2:08 AM / IP Logged  
Well i wouldnt say im new to car audio, I've built systems in 7 or 8 cars/trucks now, anything from the cheapest all the way up to the 2000 watt alpines (I say 2000 loosely I dont remember exactly how much it was.) I'm going to be purchasing an explorer used and Will definatley take advatage of the added cargo area... Plans are definately at least 2 12's or maybe if im lucky a couple 15's.... Well anyway I definately agree that a cheap amp can work well, you just cant expect a ton from it. In my small experience I would say that if the amp is being used for woofers you have a little bit more play with the quality.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2005 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
audiobass10 wrote:
audiobass10 wrote:

kgerry wrote:
any cheap amp will work as long as you dont expect it to hit anywhere near it's rated output and as long as you are willing to live with a certain amount of engine noise......

Hit it's rated power? huh? Also, engine noise wouldnt be caused by a certain amplifier alone.

Nevermind. Misread your post at first. The part about engine noise is still incorrect however.

Umm...no its true. Some of those amps are so cheap that if you have the gain very high at all (sometimes any position actually) you are going to hear engine noise. It probobly wouldn't be too much of a deal for subs, but It'd be annoying as hell if you're using it with some coaxials or component speakers.

audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2005 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  

Umm...no its true. Some of those amps are so cheap that if you have the gain very high at all (sometimes any position actually) you are going to hear engine noise. It probobly wouldn't be too much of a deal for subs, but It'd be annoying as hell if you're using it with some coaxials or component speakers.

[/QUOTE]

Cheap amps may pick up engine noise easier than a quality amp, however the chances of it happening are slim. Cheap x-overs tend to pick up engine noise more than cheapy amps. I wouldnt be all to concerned with engine noise from an amp alone. Also, If you can't set the gains right you shouldn't DIY anyways.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 13, 2005 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
I've  had good luck with a cheapo Profile Clarus 400 series for over a year now.  It can be had for $100.  I've tried it on both the sub and the mains and it gets plenty loud...no noise or other problems.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 13, 2005 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  

Check out the earthquake TNT line........bang for the buck , uuuuuh huh!

Cheap equipment is hard to get good sound out of.  So dont set your expectation bar TOOOOOO high  The best Cheap amp - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.

audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2005 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  

stevdart wrote:
I've  had good luck with a cheapo Profile Clarus 400 series for over a year now.  It can be had for $100.  I've tried it on both the sub and the mains and it gets plenty loud...no noise or other problems.

Profile is one of the "Lower End" companies I would pay for if I were on a tight budget. Lanzar is one as well.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2005 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  
A Lanzar Vibe 1200D will actually put out 1200 watts. They can be had for ~$150 shipped on fleabay. Check this out.
http://soundoff.phoenixgold.com/viewtopic.php?t=5736&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90
http://www.soundbuggy.com/Eric/Car%20Audio/lanzar/vibe_1200d/index.html
Paul
iairj84 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2005 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
I was looking on ebay for the Lanzar and could only find one in the uk... with the reviews i've read its not a bad amp at all for the money... If i could find one around 100 I would buy it... Lanzar has a couple other models, but the newer ones dont seem to be 1 ohm stable, and I'm most likely going to be running 2 12'' DVC speakers... Any ideas?
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2005 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  

Since you are selling the car and the system get a cheap profile mono amp at www.ikesound.com ; http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2552 

You can wire both subs together and get a 4 ohm load and this would sound pretty good.  If the box is designed to spec and the subs are decent the guy will be happy.  The paper for the amp would also make him  I am not sure if this amp bridges itself but it might also be able to run 2 ohm loads on each channel.

Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic