icon

Good Budget subs and amps?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Asmodeus 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  

I really like them...I have been using and selling Memphis for 6 years now....This year the power ref was redesigned to make up for some flaws in the past and they are amazing...

Entry level subs that handle power well and produce sound very well....I have never personally put them into a sealed box I have only put them into slot ported boxes....I would hope they perform as well in the sealed as they do in the ported....

But for the price I couldnt recomend them anymore than I already do at work...

Good Budget subs and amps? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Making the World A Louder Place
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2005 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
If he were to get those Cerwin Vega subs what would be a good amp for them? Maybe something like this? http://www.cardomain.com/item/INFREF310A I know Infinity amps arn't that great but its only $134. Are these really over rated though?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 17, 2005 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  

Using two SVC 4 ohms, use a mono amp that does 400-500 watts.  Or if a stereo amp is used, get one that does 1 X 400 watts bridged at 4 ohms and use two DVC subs.  You could easily reduce that wattage to 350 to drive those two subs and that will make finding an amp a lot easier.

That Infinity amp will do the job just fine.  And I'll bet it's not in the least over-rated.  I ran one of those CV HED subs on 75 watts for awhile and it got real loud.

http://www.thezeb.com/p-Cerwin-Vega-HED-S1000-10-inch-Subwoofer-108610.htm  As usual, when you're looking for something from one of these online guys, they get the words wrong....This is the SVC 4 ohm sub and the CV site rates it at 300 watts RMS.  So you see two extremes here and both are actually probably wrong.  I believe the true RMS rating for each sub is 250 watts.  I wouldn't power one up with any more watts than 250, but like I said I ran one for awhile on 75 watts.  And IIRC it (and the SVC version that followed) came from theZeb.

This is what they looked like a year ago:

Good Budget subs and amps? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

(...looks like they're putting some kind of fancy-looking cover over the magnet now...gotta have that Audiobahn look!...)

Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2005 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
Hey man, do you have a problem with cerwin vega or something? They are a tried and true brand name with an EXCELLENT quality and longevity record.
They are in no way anywhere near audiobahn crappy.
What you're refering to is called a dustcap. Cerwin Vega has put there logo on it sinse like day 1. Also you will see that some of their subs have orange surronds. This is just what they do and they've always done it that way. SO I don't think you can classify them as one of those companies that is all show and no go. They arn't bandwagon jumpers. They've been doing it from the beginning before it was "cool".
ANyway, this amp will take your buddy a little bit over budget, but if he can afford it I recommend that he get a Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2005 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
So stevdart... would two of the SVC cerwin vega subs still get loud with just that 300 watt continuous infinity amp? Each would be in a .65 cf enclosure probobly.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 17, 2005 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  

Poorman, you should read everything I say before you go blowing it out your ass.  I'm not even going to bother explaining things to you except that you should click on the link that I was referring to...

...that pic happens to be one of  my CV HEDs....duhhh!

customsuburb, yes that will be a setup that will keep that man out of the poorhouse and put a big grin on his face.

customsound79 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2005 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
I have 2 Audiobahn Natural Sound 10's as spare subs that can dish out the beef. I'm not a fan of Audiobahn and have used (and disposed of) many of their highest end products, but those 10's are too good to get rid of. For about $35 a piece on ebay you can pick up these little hoggs. I've had these hooked to a JL 500/1 and they could handle every bit of it.  I had them in my wifes car with a Sony "1000w" amp and they pounded pretty darn hard for the amount of cash involved.  You could score the Sony amp and the 10's for around $170 (ebay style) and still have a few to burn. 
My wife will never understand why, lucky for her!
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2005 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
I can vouch for those Memphis Power Referance subs. My friend has 2 12s and they get really loud. They are in a sealed box and running off a kenwood 500W amp. Also check out the Orion C series subs. I have 2 12s and they are really nice subs, especially for budget subs. I bought mine from a shop, but you can probably find them online for around $60-70 a piece.
You can also go check out ikesound.com, they have Alpine Type E subs for like $45 a pop.
customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2005 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
So I'm thinking either of these: 2 cerwin vega HED 10's with an Infinity 300 watts RMS amp or... 1 12" Memphis power reference sub with a 200 watt RMS amp (probobly MTX). Would either one of these be the better system or are they about the same? He is wanting the loudest system he can get for under $220 or so (amps and subs)
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2005 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
Another amp to consider http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2464
I would also be willing to sell my Memphis 16-MC250D for like $75
Heres a link to the specs http://memphiscaraudio.com/products/details.asp?id=23
Its like that except its last years model.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic