icon

confused by choices

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
juscrusing 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2005 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  

i'm adding two more subs to my ride but i'm kinda confused on what would be best.....

ive got a 4/3/2 channel 400 watt amp and i'm adding 2-8 inch subs would i have more output with dual voice coils at 100 watts/ channel-4 channel mode or single voice coil with the amp bridged to 150 watts/channel in 2 channel mode?? also i already have a 300 watt mono amp to a 10 inch sub and the head lights dim slighly  when its hitting hard--will the additional amp cause a charging problem...??

thanks for the input

(i know sounds like a strange set up but i'm very space limited in a jeep)

juscrusing
Sancho 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2005 at 2:17 AM / IP Logged  
there is no difference single or dual voice coils, the only difference that with dual voice coil you got more oportunities to connect it different ways.... now tell us about your amp specs(brand,model) and than will see.......
Head Unit:Alpine CDA 9835
6.5 MB Quart Pce 210
Amp:JBL 80.4
Amp:JBL 1200.1
Sub:Adire Brahma 12 MKII
juscrusing 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2005 at 4:55 AM / IP Logged  
the amp is nothing fancy --Jenson xa4200 400 watt 2 ohm stable
juscrusing
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2005 at 7:30 AM / IP Logged  
what size power wire are you running? run 4 awg to a dist block and make sure your grounds are short and scraped good. that one amp shouldnt do much. two svc 4ohm subs will work fine for your amp.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 21, 2005 at 7:59 AM / IP Logged  

juscrusing wrote:
i already have a 300 watt mono amp to a 10 inch sub and the head lights dim slighly  when its hitting hard--will the additional amp cause a charging problem...??

What you say here indicates that there already IS a power supply problem.  Adding another load is, of course, going to exacerbate that problem.  Fix what you have already and make sure the Jeep's wiring, alternator and battery are up to the task of additional loading before you add more.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
juscrusing 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2005 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the input....i had a feeling reading through the forums that i was due a high output altenator especially with my off-road lights and a winch i'm adding on guess an extra battery would be in order too...
juscrusing
juscrusing 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2005 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the input....i had a feeling reading through the forums that i was due a high output altenator especially with my off-road lights and a winch i'm adding on guess an extra battery would be in order too...confused by choices - Last Post -- posted image.$$$
juscrusing

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic