icon

Clipping

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  
Well my gains are correct...and I think it is a voltage problem. When I kick on my Kicker 1200l.1 and the amp at the same time..It shuts down quicker than when I jam it by itself. I have 2awg wire from the battery to a dist. block, and then both amps are getting 4awg. I have a small ground wire which is also 4awg. I was going to try to run another 4 awg wire from the battery tommorow and see it that helped.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
what size alternator u got?  u could check the voltage at the batt with an ohmmeter...with my stock alt and all my regular stuff on (lights, radio...no amp though, fan, heater) my battery checks fine at 12.5V idle and 13.5V with engine reved.  when i connect my amp though my voltage drops to 11V idle and 12V reved up..and i only have a 65amp alt (using about 30 more amps than the alt can supply with the amp on).  I had alternator problems from running my amp, but my amp would turn off before the alt light came on...i'm still using the same alternator, but i dont run my amp untill i replace the alternator.  Maybe the voltage is dropping below what the amp needs? 
Teamrf 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
I don't know about the alt..It is the factory alt. I have a yellow top battery though. I want to see if anything will change if I ran a 4awg wire from the battery to the amp. I've ran a fosgate 200.4 and a kenwod 400.4 with a dist. block and I've never had a problem.
~The Rookie~
audifive 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
im not sure how good the nissan  alternators are, but you can check the size of the cables going to the battery from the alternator.  they are likely much smaller than 2 ga and they are 4 ga if you are lucky.  you can always upgrade the factory power and ground wires much cheaper than buying an alternator and see if that might help. 
Teamrf 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2005 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
I upgraded the battery ground yesterday..and I will try to upgrade more factory wiring. It is hard to do since there is no room under my hood really. Those dang hondas
~The Rookie~
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2005 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  

placid warrior wrote:
what size alternator u got?  u could check the voltage at the batt with an ohmmeter...with my stock alt and all my regular stuff on (lights, radio...no amp though, fan, heater) my battery checks fine at 12.5V idle and 13.5V with engine reved.  when i connect my amp though my voltage drops to 11V idle and 12V reved up..and i only have a 65amp alt (using about 30 more amps than the alt can supply with the amp on).  I had alternator problems from running my amp, but my amp would turn off before the alt light came on...i'm still using the same alternator, but i dont run my amp untill i replace the alternator.  Maybe the voltage is dropping below what the amp needs? 

OK, so it's not clipping, it's shutting down.  Entirely different things.  UPGRADE your alternator, you are simply overloading your electrical system.  Nothing else you do will solve the problem.

Support the12volt.com
Teamrf 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2005 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
I ran a new 4awg power wire with a 80amp fuse. It helped quite a bit, but it still shuts down at high volumes. I don't want to upgrade my alt. from a 1200.1 kicker amp and a 200.4  eclipse amp. The kicker amp is hardly ever on. I did a car with a 1000/1 and a 450/4 jl amp in a 2001honda just like mines. And he didn't have anything upgraded
~The Rookie~
audifive 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2005 at 1:14 AM / IP Logged  

how do you have your sub(s) wired to the kicker?  there is no way you should be drawing more than 40-50 amps at full volume with both amps going, unless you have your subs wired to a lower impedance than the amp can handle. those 2 amps are more than enough to put some pressure on the electrical system, but usually (in my experience) other stuff goes wrong before the amps.  you may need a new alternator altogether, so have it checked out somewhere to see if it is charging properly.  let us know whats up.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic