icon

amusing little project

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
d43m05 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2005 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
I had a great working Jensen JXP680 4 channel amp, bridged to 2 channels to drive my subs, it sounded great, even though the amp was a cheap-o
Drivin down the street one day, i'm thumpin along, and *BELCH* the subs let one big thump rip, and all goes silent..... wtf....
open the trunk, and the amp is smoking.... sonuva....
Well, i'm picking up a new amp within 2 weeks, but i wanna use this one as a guinea pig, and test each and every resistor, cap, and mosfet, to see which one gave up the ghost.
If one of those went, i'll just solder in a new one of the same spec, and trek merrily on my way.
If it works after the "repairs" then it will be used to drive the midrange and high end speakers in the car, otherwise, the anodized aluminum shell might make a nice heatsink for my computer.
hit me up to lend your thoughts or whatever, just dont tell me its a POS amp not worth my time and all that, because i know that already, just need something to keep my brains occupied.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 27, 2005 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
Actually, we wouldn't know what your time is worth....lol...but you're a lot like me.  I don't want to throw anything in the trash until I have ruled out any and all possibilities of using the parts.  That's usually about 5 years later....
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2005 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
if you fix the amp then i would keep anything valuable away when you power it up for the first time.
d43m05 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2005 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
so far so good, 2 blown caps, and 1 toasted mosfet.... should be an easy repair, just gotta pick up replacement parts.
d43m05 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2005 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
all parts fixed, amp still no workie.... so i give the back side of the board a closer look, the traces for the ground are cracked.... the short musta blown the solder clean off the board because there's a gap of approx 1/8" in there, soldered it together, now thumping merrily.
What a crazy project, but it worked, and i'd gladly diagnose and repair another amp.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic