amplifier goes into protection mode

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oldsbravo5 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 2:04 AM / IP Logged  

System specs:

-Sony Xplod XM-404EQX (40 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms) running 4 Polk db650s (60 watts RMS at 4 ohms).  The Sony amplifier has 8 guage power and ground with a 40 amp inline fuse.  It's RCA's are connected to the front output on my deck.

-Alpine MRP-M350 (200 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms) pushing a single voice coil 4 ohm Polk MM2104 (300 watts RMS).  The Alpine amplifier has the same wiring specifications as stated above.  It's RCA's are connected to the Rear/Sub output on my deck. 

-I have no speakers running off of my deck's power (Pioneer DEH-P6400).

-The two amplifiers shared a ground.

While driving today, the Sony amplifier went into "Over Current" protection.  This amplifier has worked perfectly for a year or so now.  My normal listening volume is around 30-35, and at the time it went into protection I was listening at 15.  In the meantime, the subwoofer still worked as if nothing had happened. 

When I got home, I decided to hook the Sony amplifier up to the Alpine's circuit and RCA's since the Alpine amp had been working.  The Sony amp still went into "Over Current" protection.  I did not hook the Alpine up to the Sony's circuit.  Then, I re-positioned my grounds and grounded each unit at a seperate point and hooked the units back up to their respective circuits and RCA's.  This time, the units would turn on, but neither would reproduce any sound. 

I decided to focus on one amplifier at a time.  I repositioned the Sony's ground numerous times and I have gotten it to work up to volumes not exceeding 15-20.  As soon as it goes past this point or a certain wattage, it goes back into Over Current protection.  I can turn the vehicle off or the deck off, and the amplifier will reset itself and the whole process starts over again.

I am only focusing on the problem with the Sony amp. 

What might be the problem?  

Thank you!

Bravadas are cool
wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 3:08 AM / IP Logged  
sounds like you might have a short in a speaker wire. start with the sony amp hook up everything except the speaker wires. and ad 1 speaker and try it to see if it works, if yes disconnect and try another until you find the speaker that is running the amp in protection mode, then trace out the wire and look for nics or a shorted out speaker.
oldsbravo5 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks. I appreciate it.  Could it be the RCAs as well?  Is it a possibility that they are shorting out?

I'm almost certain it isn't the ground.  I will check today, though, when a multi-meter is available. 

Bravadas are cool
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  

Yes, it could be RCAs or the head unit or the speakers, or the amp could simply be toast.  Sony amps are well known as being not very reliable.  Try this:

Connect your system normally and disconnect all speaker wires from the Sony amp.  Turn it on.  If it's still in protection, it's not the speakers, and if it's not then you have a speaker or speaker wiring issue.  If the amp is still in protection without any speakers conencted, disconnect the RCA's.  If it's still in protection the amp is fried, and if not you have an issue in the RCAs or your head unit.

Support the12volt.com
oldsbravo5 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you both.  A short in the speaker wire was the culprit.  Everything is fine now.  The problem with the Alpine amp was just an innocent mistake.

I was hoping that the Sony amp would finally meet it's end. I got it for free from my boss a two summers ago and it has done nothing but surpass my expectations.  If it were toast, I'd have an excuse to buy a new one.  But, no such luck.  I'm too happy with it's performance to just get rid of it. 

Thanks again!

Bravadas are cool

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic