icon

Alarm Certification

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
I will also reccomend it.... but it is good to spend at least a couple years in the field first. From what I noticed, MECP dosen't cover things like remote start well enough (A must in this country..... you can make almost 50% of your years labour in 3 months during starter season if you hustle).
Remember, it is a piece of paper.... but it is also what you do with it. Don't think you know everything because you have that piece of paper.... you don't. Nobody does. That's why you learn every day. It may be benificial to have the certificate to say you should know the book fundamentals, but you will learn faster under a few hundred dashes... especially in a busy shop that has a couple industry vets (10+ years of experience). The old guys will know a lot of good tips and shortcuts.
Gus
PS: I don't have my MECP, probably will never even bother with it.... 10 years of experience coupled with a degree in electronics is working quite nicely
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
bretbowman 
Copper - Posts: 156
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  

Obviously BOTH certs and experience are good.

The bottom line is if you only have ONE or the OTHER.

Experience is MUCH, MUCH more valuable than certifications!

OhioMike1101 
Silver - Posts: 343
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2005 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
i would much rather hire a seasoned and experienced installer at a couple bucks/hr higher than a certified newbie that I have to walk through installs and teach all the basics, tips, tricks, etc....
I do not have the patience to train someone from start. To me, the MECP is just theory and you can have a MECP cert and not even know how to install a radio. I have seen this before. Guy had cert and his first 3 cars, couldn't figure out how to get the factory radio out of the car. On a 1997 cavalier, he broke the dash piece.
Then try a mid nineties Intrepid.... He decided to take the entire 1 piece lower dash off the car for an alarm install.   9 hours later, he was finished with a basic alarm install (was his 4th alarm install) Fastest basic alarm was about 6 hours. Only got to see him do about 6 of them b4 he quit.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic