icon

more power out of a amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
butterbeanmach 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
i have heard that you can hook your sub wires into the amp so both subs are getting the full power of the amp NOT SPLIT UP. I would be greatful if u could tell me how to do this. Thanks 
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
you better tell us what gear you have, then we might be able to answer that ever so vague question you have.
butterbeanmach 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
i have two audiobahn 12" subs in a audiobahn bampass box with a rockford cheater amp 
butterbeanmach 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
my hu is a pioneer deh-p6700
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
ok, are the subs dual voice coil, single voice coil? how many ohms per coil? what are the ratings on the amp and/or the model number?
butterbeanmach 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  

sinlge voice coil and i bought the amp off of a buddy at work he said it puts out about 800 watts he called it a rockford cheater amp the amp itself has nothing on it about watts or anything thats all i know

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  

butterbeanmach wrote:
i have heard that you can hook your sub wires into the amp so both subs are getting the full power of the amp NOT SPLIT UP. I would be greatful if u could tell me how to do this. Thanks 

Nope, that's impossible.  If you connect any two loads to any amplifier they will share the amplifier's output, period.  It doesn't matter if they are connected in series or parallel, they will share the output (albeit in different ways.)  Whoever told you this is either ignorant about electricity, lying to you, or just mistakenly believing a lie someone else told them.  Find out the lowest safe impedence load the amplifier will handle and connect your subs so they do not present a lower load than this and you will have the "most" out of any setup.  There is no magic to it, it's physics.

Support the12volt.com
gladbach 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
this always cracks me up. nothing more amusing than when someone comes into the shop and talks about how they want to "double bang" their amps, and what not...
really, it depends on the amp, and also the quality. sometimes you can take an amp bridged to two ohm, but man, it will fry sooner or later if it even works in the first place.
mmmmmm, crispy. ;)
butterbeanmach 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  

thanks dyohn i talked to the guy that told me this and he said to hook sub1's neg to ch1's neg on the amp then to hook up sub1's pos to ch2's pos on the amp then to hook sub2's neg to ch2's neg on the amp then to hook up sub2's pos to ch1's pos on the amp would this do anything except confuse me. haha  thanks again

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  

Doing that would be pretty cool actually, it would definately bang when the amp explodes in your face..

Seriously tho, if we have no model number of your amp then we cannot reccomend anything, your pretty much not going to get a solid answer unless you can get us that info some how.

And do you know the model of bandpass box you have? or link to where we can see info on it?

I wish we could just give you an answer, but every piece of equipment is designed differently.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic