icon

Air Space equation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
davedyer79 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
Might be a basic, generic question but I have never been showed the equation to build a proper air space sealed enclosure.  If the sub calls for 5.25 sealed air space for a sub, how do you figure your enclosure as far a height, width, and depth.  I have built many enclosures and have guesstimated, but with this one I would like to be specific.  Thanks to all.
davedyer79
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  

It's basic geometry.  For a cube or prism (right square or right rectangle) the formula is

(Height X width X depth) = volume.  If it's a wedge or cylinder or other shape, you must use the proper mathematical formula.  There is a calculator on this site, look to the left and follow the links.

You can use whatever dimensions you like to achieve the desired volume, although there are some rules of thumb depending on what kind of speaker enclosure you require.  For subs, the ratio of one dimension to another is less important.  Also realize it is the inside volume that matters as this is the airspace that will interact with the speaker to create your sound, so if you measure the outside of an enclosure you must subtract the thickness of the walls from the measurements to end up with the inner dimensions.  To be accurate, you must also subtract the volume of anything inside the enclosure, such as braces, ports, the speakers themselves, etc.  Generally, if you are within about 10% for a sealed enclosure the performance change will be minimal.  For ported enclosures of any type the tolerance is about 1/2 (5%) to attain proper performance.

Support the12volt.com
Optik 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  

You want to be exact well go here https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp play around till you get what you want or you might try WINISD

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  
Or here...
5.25FT?!?! That's a FREAKING HUGE box... Especially for a sealed enclosure... you're gonna have to brace that thing like nobody's business... When you think you have too much bracing, add some more. Not kidding...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
Wow, I missed that little tidbit.  5.25 cuft for a sealed enclosure?  Hmm, yes, very damn big.  Please share your design parameters and what driver you are using!
Support the12volt.com
Optik 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  
I missed that to are you sure you don't need 5.25 for a two sub setup sharing the chamber. I would like to know what sub and what you are going to put the box in.
davedyer79 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
Yea, 5.25 was just an example.  I am glad I peaked some of your imaginations, but I just threw a number out there. My subs are Memphis HPO 10" and call for a .75 enclosure.  I will be putting them under the seat of a 2004 Chevy SS.  I should have enough space, just wanted to be certain.  DYohn, I am a dentist and I had a lot of math, just never thought how to apply it to this.  I knew I should have paid more attention when my professor said we will use this in everyday life.  haha  Anyway, thanks for the responses, and I will let ya'll know how it turns out. 
davedyer79

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic