subwoofers won't work w/ engine running

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vendoR 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  

Hi!

I receantly bought some used stuff from my friend, 2x12" subwoofers and a VDO Dayton 4600 AMP. I've connected only the subwoofers to the amp and my head unit (Sony xplode) and everything works when the car engine is not running, but as soon as I start the engine the subwoofers won't work.

All help is appreciated

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
what wire is your remote wire hooked up too.     where did you hook your power wire to, directly to the battery?       Can you see if when you start the car if the amp goes into protect or just off?
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Jay22 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
U may have connected the amp turn on to the wrong wire bc on a deck u have ur yellow(ign) and red (12volt) I cant remember which stays on with car running
I think the yellow (ignition) shuts off when the car is running or vise versa so you may want to check that if it is hooked to one of them just reverse or hook to a blue with white stripe (amp turn on) if u have one...
Hope this helps ya out
Jay
sts15l7 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  

to what Jay said, i blv the ignition wire would be the one that stays on only when the car is start and the 12volt would be constant.

vendoR, i would also think that something's wrong with ur remote turn-on. which wire did u connect to it? was it the blue one from ur head unit? that's the remote turn-on (which im sure ur aware of)...

if nothing else works, u can always run a separate wire for the remote turn on from ur battery, and then have a toggle switch in between in ur cabin somewhere. that way u can decide when u want it to be on or off. the only drawback: u have to remember to turn it off every time, or else ull have a dead battery...

vendoR 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2005 at 5:46 AM / IP Logged  
The power wire is connected directly to my car battery and the remote wire is connected to a blue with white stripes (I believe that's the right one since there is a note taped on the wire that says AMP rem. something) on my head unit and of course I've connected the ground wire, but that's all I've connected. There is a slot that says ACC +12V but that's only for crossovers and other amps with remote input.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2005 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
if there is a wire on your deck that says ACC 12V+   that is your switched ign wire.      YOu should have one constant wire and one switched wire hooked up on the deck, and again    when you start the car does the radio and amp just shut off or does something go into protect?
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
vendoR 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  

Jeffchillcott

The amp and the deck shuts off and starts up again (reboots?) and I don't think I have hooked up the ACC 12V+ wire. But I will try that and see if it works.

vendoR 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 4:30 AM / IP Logged  

Nope that didn't help. When I had the ACC +12V wire connected the subwoofers wouldn't even go on after I shut down the engine and the stereo. Any ideas?

Jay T 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  

You need to check what Jeffchillcott said;

Your amp may have a "protect" mode which will shut it off to protect itself from damage from wrong wiring and thermal problems IE overheating.  When the sub is working try to turn car on and see if the amp loses power competely or if it goes into "protect" mode.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic