icon

No vocals & mid mids

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nickvr 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2005 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  

Question, is the vocal part in mids (using splits) dependant on the splits used and AMP or mostly the actual speakers?? A friend has changed AMPs yesterday, from a 1000W peak 4 channel (bridged to 2) to a 1200W peak 2 channel AMP and claims that the vocals on his splits have disappeared (he has plenty more highs (tweeters are louder) and some lows but 'voices' have gone down significantly). He triple checked polarity etc and check out ok. He is somewhat overpowering the splits but above is experienced at low and high volume. The setup sounds little better with treble turned down all the way and bass up all the way.

In your view, could components loose mid mids when AMP either little stronger or weaker for that matter??

Nick
TruckSystem 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2005 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
A four channel amp likely had two crossovers, where a two channel generally only has one. Sounds like an external crossover is needed.
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Standard Cab ~ Alpine CDA-9851
Diamond Audio D3600.1 ~ 2x Diamond Audio TM310D4
Diamond Audio D3400.4 ~ Diamond Audio Hex S600s
AstroStart RS5204 Remote Start/Alarm
nickvr 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2005 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  

Both AMPs are set to full range. The splits (Calibra Stealth) have passive crossover gadget.. With AMP set to high pass,  the problem worsens..

Nick
nickvr 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2005 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
I was wondering, could the stronger AMP result in stronger 'backwaves' (door installation) that cancels the vocals?? He has dynamat on front side but nothing inside / back of door. The volume serves as a enclosure for the 6" speaker.
Nick
TruckSystem 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2005 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
What models were the old and new amplifiers and what model speakers are being used? Also is there any subwoofer included in this setup? There is no real dependancy on either end, it depends on how good a quality pieces are used really, as anything can be tuned to sound decent as long as the quality of materials used is decent.
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Standard Cab ~ Alpine CDA-9851
Diamond Audio D3600.1 ~ 2x Diamond Audio TM310D4
Diamond Audio D3400.4 ~ Diamond Audio Hex S600s
AstroStart RS5204 Remote Start/Alarm
nickvr 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2005 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  

The 4ch AMP is a Blaster 1000W (peak) and the 2 ch is a Starsound 1200W (peak). The splits are Calibra Stealth components. The crossover gadget has switch for tweeters i.e. 0db, -2db and -4db. He has set switch to -4db but tweeter still very loud.

Yes there is a sub but that runs from another AMP (RF 502S). The sub was off while we struggled with above. He wants to put the 4ch back. I just find it hard to understand why above is happening and want to learn for future... Could it be backwaves that cancels vocals? I guess there is nothing I can do but recommend another set of components or put his old AMP back

Nick
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2005 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
Make sure that the speakers are not wired out of phase. Disconnect one set of wires at the amp and reverse the + and - on this set of speaker leads and let us know how the sound is after that, better or worse.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
nickvr 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2005 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
Much worse (no bass) if polarities swopped..
Nick

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic