icon

2 amps 1 dual voice coil sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lowcrawl 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 1:54 AM / IP Logged  
I have one rockford fosgate T112D2 Sub thats has a 600 rms and a 1200 peak @ 2 ohms and I just purchased a rockford fosgate p6001bd amp that has a 600 rms @ 2 ohms. My problem is this, My sub is a Dual Voice Coil and the most I can power it at is 300 watts @ 4 ohms with a single amp. If I was to buy a another p6001bd amp could I wire 1 amp to one voice coil and the other amp to the second voice coil and achieve a total of 1200 watts? If you have any idea's or comments I would greatly appreciate it.
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 2:04 AM / IP Logged  
<edit>
I now see that it meant dual 2 ohm voice coils. I'm sorry about that.
If you ran a seperate amp to each voice coil, you'd get 1200 rms which is a little excessive for a 600watt rms sub.
If you're going to only run 1 sub, I would suggest bringing it back and getting the dual 4 ohm sub then wiring it for 2 ohms on that amp.
</edit>
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 8:05 AM / IP Logged  
lowcrawl, forget about "peak" numbers.  Period.  Once you start thinking in terms of real capabilities, things will get easier for you.  Never power a subwoofer with two amps.  As boardinbum suggested, match your equipment properly to start with so that you're not going the "rigged" route.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
gladbach 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  
peak doesn't mean anything. listen to stevdart
lowcrawl 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2005 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the assistance. Anyone know any decent 2 channel amps to power the single sub that I am currently trying to support?
lowcrawl
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 24, 2005 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  

My question to you is this:  have you tried setting the system up as you have it yet, or are you still looking at the numbers?  In a well-done installation with an enclosure suited for the sub and large enough...no skimping...you will get some great sound with 300 watts at 4 ohms.  Doubling the power will net you only 3 more decibels, so if you are at 125 db (for instance) now, the change in amps to get that 600 watts will put the decibels to 128.  Now, 125 or 128?  Hmmmm.  And, a sub that will handle 600 watts RMS will play just as well with 300 watts, only it will be just noticeably not as loud (that's what 3 db tells you, a noticeable difference in volume).

If the sub is set up now, and it is not to your expectations...there may be more than the doubling of power needed to correct it:  enclosure volume or type, damping of the car's sheet metal, power source, music source, etc. etc....

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
lowcrawl 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2005 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  

As of right now I have not put anything together. I have been purchasing everything over the internet from iraq, and have started from scratch with both equipment and knowledge of car audio. I dont know what any of the gear currently sounds like, but only the numbers to attempt to match everything. I have someone attempting to sell me a 1ch 800rms @  1ohm amp for $300. Any advice?

lowcrawl

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic