icon

Tweeters in-phase?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
Your description does me a lot more good than the link.  My F tweeter VC's are perpendicular to the mids, and nowhere near them.  I wonder how that would affect the wave travelling - constructive, destructive, or most likely neither.  Not sure I want the answer to that.  thanks for the class time.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
Well, because of the lobing effect of high frequencies (remember the multiple lobes?), and phase differences because of the distance, you probably have some of both (some constructive and some destructive).
Is this a big problem? Maybe. Maybe not. Remember a good option w/ audio is just to forget the theory and say, "well, I'm happy w/ it, so who cares." :-)
What you probably have is a situation where the frequency response sounds different depending on where you sit and move your head. You may have a problem at one frequency with your head in one position, and another problem at another frequency when you move your head a few degrees. The bad thing about starting w/ poor positioning is that these types of problems are pretty much impossible to EQ out. (You move the rta mic a few inches and the high frequency picture goes and changes dramatically). There'd still be changes even if position was perfect (all the reflections and such in a car make it messy), but starting with on-axis and close to phase coincident makes it easier.
If you're getting an effect you like where your head currently is, I wouldn't worry about it one bit. Like I said earlier, that high crossover frequency probably reduces the importance of the tweeter frequencies for you somewhat.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic