the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Port size and length

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
is there already a bend in it? or did you draw what it would be like if you added the bend?  i don't really get what kind of a port that is,, is the current port just a peice of tube or what? i'm kinda lost on what your current box situation is
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
AudioZBahn 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  
here are the ports that are in the box  http://www.crutchfield.com/S-eZNCf84ao9x/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=745&I=495PNR4    they are currently 4in from the bottom of the box. I figure i could get an elbow or maybe even put a whole new port in the box, which I would hate to do because the ports seems pretty nice. The drawing was what I thought it would look like if I had put the elbow on the end of it. So would it be better if I just put a new port in or try and put an elbow in?
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2005 at 7:12 AM / IP Logged  
yea i don't know how much the flair really helps,, but anyways, i don't think you'll beable to put an elbow on that tube, just won't fit over that flair stuff, you might have to just get some pvc
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
AudioZBahn 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2005 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  

You can remove the end flares, but either way I will probably just get some pvc. I wonder if the elbow subtracts the length because of the bend. Thanks for all the help Catanham I just never really dealt with ported boxes. I look forward to hearing from you about the HU.

xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 2:20 AM / IP Logged  
keep the end flares on them...it helps to reduce port noise.   here is a good example of port noise..you know when you have a bottle of pop, and when your bored sometimes, you blow over top the hole and it makes a noise.....well same thing applies to a port. making a square port would be better and flanging it...but making it slotted and flanged or flared for you techy's, would be your best bet.
xTimx
AudioZBahn 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  
I don't know if I will be able to fit the flares on a peice of 4in pvc. I'm using round (2)4in pvc and it's going to have to be 7in long and then a 90degree bend with about 4 more in. No one has still really gave me a direct answer, if I use a 90degree bend will I need to compensate for the length lost in the bend or not. The only thing that I have seen was a write-up on JLs web site. Do you think I will have excessive port noise if I just use round pipe and slightly round/file the inner edge down so it's not a direct drop?
boricuaso 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  

when measuring the port with a 90* bend! you throw an imaginary line thrue the center of the port including the bend or circumferance of that ben and that will give you your total lengh of the port. i would only worry about the port noise if you are trying to use a too small of a port diameter for a huge sub, yes by slightly rounding the ports  inner edges down you will help minimize the port hizzing noise if any.

if you input your enclosure and speaker dimension in to winisd software " free google searsh" it will tell you if the port diameter and length you have right now are proper. and to what freq are they tuning this box to.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic