icon

Punch vs L7

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
FinalFrontier 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  

Which is better? The Punch stage 3's,or the Kicker L7s?

Right now i have the stage 3s,trying to see if it would be better to change to the L7s.Ive heard alot of L7s in ported boxes,but not many in sealed.I like the way they sound ported,but im planning on running 2 sealed.Not much room in my lil truck.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  
The L7 tends to be a choice for pure SPL because it emphasizes the frequency range of 50 to 80 Hz.  It also works just as well in a sealed enclosure as it does in a vented.  The meager amount of added low end obtained by venting is not worth the trouble of building a more specialized enclosure.  I haven't looked at or heard the Punch woofers you asked about, but if you want more rounded response for everyday listening I would suggest just about anything over the L7.  But if you say you like the sound of them, then you know what path you should follow.  Just know that you will get the same results as what you heard with sealed, but give up 2 cu ft of volume for each of them.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Bigsingh 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  

punch threes are good subs, but u must consider that L7's are much higher spec and better woofers in comparison to the punch. the 12's hit around 750 rms which is 250 more than the punch threes. if u wanna compare two subs then the rockford t1's are around the spec ur lookin at.

6* Rockford T2's
6* POWER AMPs
BLACK CORRADO
BAANNGGIINN
FinalFrontier 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the input!  Im running a DEI Viper 1200D right now at 2 ohms on the Punch's, its rated 800rms at 2 ohms (sure draws alot of current).So what i was thinking is maybe cutting my circles to squares and dropping the amp down to 1ohm.Its rated 1200rms at 1ohm(i know its not what it will actually be pushing).My box is about 1.08 cu ft per chamber with out the sub.

I like the way my punch's are as far as everyday listening and sounds good with just about every type of music,but i want something that slamms a little harder.Just not sure if this would be the way to go,and dont want to ruin my box.Its not the best box,but its good until i get my truck done and fiberglass one in.

soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2005 at 7:14 AM / IP Logged  

the L7stomps the sh*t out of anything rockford has made in the last three years. bottom line.

as for the enclosure try .88 cubic feet and abotd 1000 watts rms power to each speaker.

chris305 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2005 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  

the kicker L7 are great in a ported box. reason why you always see them in ported bozes cause it puts out more output in a ported box than a sealed one. you never see house stereos with sealed box they are always ported with a hole at the top to let the air out. sealed box will give you tight respones to a ported it wil give you more SPL and will vibrate alot more. see 2 12 L7's in a ported box will be like 3 L7's in a sealed box. got it. and ported is good for rap and reggae and some R&B. but if you more of a rock and all that teck music get a sealed box. kickers are known as livin loud cause they are. and plus there better quailty there not foam there rubber.  whne i had 2 compvr's 12's in a ported box they thought it was 4 12's untill i should them so yeah ported i will say to go but thats all up to you if anything email me if you have any more questions  twista200317@yahoo.com

Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2005 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
Punch T3 are in a different weight class than the L7. If you want something to compare to the L7 go with the T1 like someone said in an earlier post. If you are going to compare the T1's to the L7's then I would say T1's hands down.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2005 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
Why do you say that, Teamrf ?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic