the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Power Question for Experts

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn, Haemphyst, others.... I was browsing around the other day and ran into this thread:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=18159

I share a logical path with the original poster.  It just doesn't seem like a lot of power is necessary in a normal sized room for a person with moderate listening levels.  The Bryston rep's response leads me to believe that even at moderate listening levels additional distortion will be introduced during very brief dynamic peaks.  Is this a bit of fluff to sell more 4BSST's, or what?  I'm having trouble believing someone like me - that really never pushes his speakers, needs more than 50wpc or so. 

The post above:  fluff? truth? is the difference audible?

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  

If your looking at producing pink noise your logic is valid. However if his 20db or more peaks argument is true ( which it is ) then it makes sense. For every 3db increase in volume,  power must be doubled. So if you increase volume 21db your power needs go from 1 watt, to 2, to 4, to 8, to 16, to 32, to 64 watts to achieve this increase. Add on the extra 6 db for distance increase and off axis increase and your 64 watt peaks increase to 256 watt peaks. This is what is so frustrating about trying to explain to a customer that going from that 250 RMS amp to that 500 RMS amp will NOT give him twice the volume, only three db on his volume control.

The other positive about using more powerful amps is that even at medium volume listening they are loafing. They're at their lowest THD numbers and best S/N numbers. The drawback? Breaking the piggy bank!

kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, but wait a second. Say I'm listening at to something averaging 86db with a watt. What music jumps 20db up from that average? 106db is really freaking loud. Is there some material out there I don't know about? Or do I just not notice because the jump is so brief? Also, don't much smaller amplifiers (rms wise) also have "peak capability?" Doesn't this peak capability allow them to handle these very brief bumps in power? If this is true, is the only real benefit to a 150wpc amplifier to ensure constant SNR / THD numbers even during those peaks?
(not trying to argue, just trying to understand how much of a practical difference there is between a 150wpc amplifier and a 60wpc amplifier for moderate listeners)
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
No Worries. I'm kinda an older guy myself and I most likely don't listen to my music any louder then you do. My home system has VERY inefficiant speakers ( DCM Time Windows and AR 12" subs ) I run it with a Luxman ( read Alpine ) pre amp power amp combo with wattage output meters. The amp is rated at 350 RMS X2 and when I get a wild hair up you know where, I can use all that power. Sustained bass notes ( pipe organ? ) will not be covered by peak power.
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
What you guys are talking about is dymanic head room.  The ability of an amp to cleanly reproduce "peak" sounds.  Most amps using a high speed switching power suppy cannot react fast enough for musical transitions.  High quality amps will have 2 or 3 times power avalible to hit these peaks.  Usually done by having more capacitants and bigger power supplies (higher cost), result no clipping.  (Ever wonder why your Alpine v12 mids amp sounds better with a 1 farid cap attached).  Easy way to tell is if the amp double its power output when impednce is haved.  Most amps only increase 50-60%,( 100w @ 4ohm, 160 @ 2ohm)  There are two solution if you building amps, build it right with big power supplies and caps, or use a bigger amp at lower levels.  Personnely, the better built power supply sounds better even with less ulimate power.
kfr01 
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
Hmm... Ok. I wonder if Haemphyst's friends at Harman have an opinion on this. Harman seems to favor the better built power supply with less ultimate power too. What I want to know is this. With most well-engineered cd's, how often do we experience these ~20db peaks in music? If often then 300wpc+ headroom starts making financial sense. If not often then it makes diminishing sense.
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
kfr01 wrote:
s there some material out there I don't know about? Or do I just not notice because the jump is so brief?
You probably don't notice it's so loud because it is only sustained for usually less then a second.
Note that a Popped Balloon can produce upwards of 150dB!
kfr01 wrote:
Also, don't much smaller amplifiers (rms wise) also have "peak capability?" Doesn't this peak capability allow them to handle these very brief bumps in power?
Many descent quality amplifiers have the ability to put out peak power between 2 and 3 times the RMS rating. THD? THD and peak power don't really play well together.
KFR01 wrote:
What music jumps 20db up from that average?
Have you ever listened to any music that starts out kind of quiet and then all of a sudden a clash of the cymbal is heard(or some other high dB instrument) that really stands above/out from the rest of the music? This would be one case of a dynamic peak.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  

I didn't read the whole linked thread, but the input from tcss is 100% correct.

A compact disk has a theoretical dynamic range of 90db, so it is possible for recorded music to introduce much more than a 20db increase in signal level.  When CDs were introduced in 1980 the RIAA placed the standard recording level at 60db, leaving 30db of headroom.  However, most CDs available today are recorded at 78 to 80db digital levels, leaving only 10-12db of headroom available on the CD for dynamic transients.  This is a fairly recent phenomenon (last five years or so) and is why "modern" CDs sound so much hotter than older CDs. 

The trend to hotter recording levels seems driven by the proliferation of low-end (cheap) audio equipment.  Kids what that thump and most consumers think louder is better, so when they can't spend the money to get proper gear, a +10db recording level helps make cheap crap sound "better." it's also why so many car manufacturers use 2-ohm OEM speakers: it makes the 12 watt HU amplifier operate at 24 watts and "man listen to that loud azz system!!"  But I digress.

i also favor "better built power supplies with less ultimate power."  In fact, I prefer to operate all my amps at 8-ohms so they will be farther away from operational limits and S/N thresholds.  But that's just me (and I'm probably older than all of you anyway.)  :)

Support the12volt.com
kfr01 
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
Dyohn, thanks for weighing in. So, here's my question. As a fellow "crazy power is not necessary" audio guy, do you ever feel that you miss anything during these transients?
This is off topic as I'm really talking more about home audio here.
Basically I was thinking about buying one of these:
http://www.bryston.ca/b60_m.html
It seemed like a fantastic investment for 2-channel audio. 20 year transferable warranty, more power than mathematically I thought I'd ever need. Ultra clean. Small. Price isn't too crazy.
After hearing that statement from the "horse's mouth," so to speak, regarding power, I'm having second thoughts.
From the Bryson employee's post it seems like, money being not too large a hurdle, that 300wpc+ is the only "not messing around" solution. :-) True? False? How much, in your opinion, is there to gain sound quality wise, during these transients, comparing a similar quality 150wpc amplifier to a 300wpc+ amplifier?
Anyway, thanks for the input. That 10-12db of headroom is a lot less than 20. :-)
Incidentially, I respect your opinion quite a bit, so I'll ask another non-car audio question, if that's ok... what are your favorite bang/buck sound quality brands in home audio. I know you own sunfire. A hearty recommendation there? Those new Anthem amplifiers from paradigm look nice. That Bryston 20 year warranty calls my name for some reason.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
Interesting... (Sorry, I was not ignoring you, I was out celebrating my promotion with some friends...)
I am a fan, as most of you know, of "overpowering" my systems. There is NO substitute for headroom, wether it is mechanical (106dB efficient horn systems) or electrical (3kW on a 85dB efficient subwoofer).
(I may digress, but I am slightly inebriated, so bear with me, please...)
I am a fan of running an amplifier BELOW it's rated impedance i.e. 4 ohm rated, load it with 8 ohm speakers. This allows a lower THD, better S/N ratio, better damping, and better efficiency. It WILL hit you in the headroom arena, as you amplifier will be putting out less power (on an RMS basis) than it is spec'd for. This will mandate buying TWICE (at least) the power you are really looking for...
Bob Carver (of the TFM amplifier fame) really is responsible for my point of view. While developing his power supplies for his amplifiers, he was doing very secret experiments, (which later surfaced in some of the better audio magazines) as to how much power is REALLY necessary to reproduce a waveform from a loudspeaker. I cannot tell you WHERE I read them, (it was while I was in high school - a few years back) but he said that it takes at least than 3600 watts to reproduce (accurately) the "snip" of an ordinary pair of scissors. This was where his 1.0t amplifier came from. In Bob's words - "The last amplifier you will ever need." (Please note that he then developed the Amazing Loudspeaker system, with an efficieny rating of 81dB - they wanted a 1.0t bridged to each one!)
Much like horsepower in a car, you may never use it, but it's nice to have it. Beat 'em! I have 2.7kW running a single 12 in my trunk, and I have never needed more power. I usually run on the order of 100 to 150 watts to it, but because of the headroom available, I don't ever suffer clipping from the sub. Whether you are running CD or vinyl, (of which I posess plenty) there is really no substitute fo headroom.
Clipping is FAR more noticeable than you might think, even with VERY short durations. The more power you have, without exception, the lower your overall distortion will be.
Yes, 106dB is loud, but you cannot notice HOW loud it is until it plays for pretty significant periods of time. It is VERY important to have adequate headroom for these transient periods.
The current view at Harman is "What we have is good enough", but my buddy is trying to change all of that. the amplifiers from Harman are good pieces, but he does not care for where efficiency numbers are heading today. His goal is to produce higher efficiency with other specs remaining where they are right now - low Fs, high power, long throw, etc. Difficult at best, as we all know (with WHAT we know today) we always trade off extension for efficiency or efficency for extension. I am not at liberty to speak of what he is working on, but suffice to say, he is trying to fix what is wrong with loudspeaker technology today.
:::::EDIT:::::
I do VERY much like the Bryston gear, the old school Carver stuff is good, NAD "Power Envelope" stuff... Anything with Adcom on the front panel is still good gear (though not as good as it USED to be) The Sunfire amps are top notch, and YBA is nothing short of the BEST solid state power amp I have ever heard in my LIFE... but VERY expendy.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic