icon

Dynamat question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Boomin'Babe 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2005 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
I am helping to install dynamat for a friend, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what to clean the panels/surfaces with prior to installation? I searched the archives, and I couldn't find anything, so sorry if this is a repost.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2005 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
You need to use a residue-free solvent like denatured alcohol or acetone.  All dirt, wax, grease, etc. needs to be removed from the surface.  Be careful if cleaning around plastic as some solvents will melt them.  Avoid using Windex.
Support the12volt.com
Boomin'Babe 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2005 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  
Brand names? What about rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover?
angelob 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  

Some nail polish remover is acetone-based, but may include other ingredients.

Acetone can be found at any hardware store or Wal-mart - its in the paint area. 

Izzum88 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
Since theres already a post about dynamat going, is it worth getting the dynamat on any audio system? if not at what level should you think about getting it at?
joebobcletusjr 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  

Izzum88 wrote:
Since theres already a post about dynamat going, is it worth getting the dynamat on any audio system? if not at what level should you think about getting it at?

Dynamat will definetely help with any system, even if you are talking about a stock system you will get a much better frequency response, and you will hear things you never though were on your CDs.  as for the level, I would say to go with the best sound dedening level you can afford for the application you are doing, the less sound that gets in from outside and from the frame the more your music will jump out.  noise reduction, in my opinion is usually the next step after upgrading the charging system or wiring, a lot of people will ignore these steps and wonder why their systems just aren't as clear or hit as hard as it should.

eh? what did you just say?
Boomin'Babe 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
Should this acetone be diluted? If so, to what concentration? Is there any household cleaner I can use with less risk of melting everything down?
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
I use denatured alcohol. It hasn't melted anything down. That said, I haven't left a pool of it sitting on a piece of plastic yet either. :-) I just got a generic jug from a home improvement store.
I agree with joebobcletusjr (nice name, btw). Reducing the noise floor can make a huge difference to all listeners. Even guys like me who don't care about SPL. (Actually, it can even help us more because we don't need to turn the music up as loud to overcome the road/car noise).
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic