2000 RX300 amplifier fry?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gbear14275 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 2:05 AM / IP Logged  

Hello all,

I did an install on my friends 2000 rx300 the other day and have run into some problems.  He wanted to install an amp to run some subs and so i offered to hook up his stereo.  After running the power (through the fender!!!) ground and all the necessary cable I installed a line level converter to pull a signal off his factory deck.  (problem possibility #1) We put it all back together turned it on and....Nothing....at all.  The stereo unit would turn on but no sound.  Subs werent working, factory speakers werent working, nothing.  I've been trying to trouble shoot this problem for two days now...

I have come to the sad conclusion that I have probably managed to fry the stock amplifier somehow although have no clue where i would have.  If anyone knows where I can find a replacement factory amplifier can you please let me know... if anyone has any experience with a line level converter being spliced into the preamp leads of a factory system instead of the hi power ones can you let me know if you damaged your system.  I've been ripping my hair out trying to figure out what happened.  the only other strange thing i did was tap the switched 12v power for the remote turn on.  (the add on amp is dead too but im chalking that up to coincidence)  ANY AND ALL Feedback and/or comments are welcome.  I just want to figure out what happened.

P.S. I have done quite a few basic installs such as this and so know my way around, although appear to have botched this job up pretty bad lol :( (i dont want to fork out tons of maney for an OEM lexus amp).  So things like, did you check your fuses are a given, we checked all the power with a multimeter and grounds powers and connections are all accurate.

gbear14275 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2005 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  

So for anyone who encounters this problem in the future...

The problem was wiring the line level converter in between the deck and amp.  Because of the internal circutry of the converter and amp, the amplifier was detecting a short in its input signals and going into protect mode.  To fiw the problem we simply removed the line level converter and wired it in after the amplifier.  Everything is a okay now.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic