icon

FG spare tire well, first time

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
danieljaluise 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2005 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
If the mold is sitting tight in the wheel well, will I have to worry about it flexing as much? Shouldn't the steel sides of the wheel well support the enclosre. I used about 3 bags of cloth and 2 bags of mat (stuff from wal-mart). It worked out to about 4-5 layers I think. Then I went over the inside with a coat of bondo. Should this be strong enough?
I didn't cover it yet, all I have is the mold done. A single Treo SS 12" will be mounted so it will sit flush with the trunk floor. How strong should I make the top of the enclosure, and do I even need fleece if it is going to be flat?
Sorry for all the questions, I just don't wanna screw this up.
I will have pictures up later today or tomorrow morning.
ravenndude 
Silver - Posts: 250
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2005 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
If its going to be a flat top I would use MDF instead of Fiber Glass. Fiberglass is weaker whne it is flat compared to when it is curved.
danieljaluise 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2005 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  
Here is a couple pics. excuse the quality, all i had was my phone to take pics. Anyway, is it ok to put more layers of fiberglass over the skim coat of bondo I did. I think it should be a little thicker. And by the way, it took like 3 days for my skin to stop itching from this crap.
One more question: If I want to use MDF for the top instead of fiberglass since the top will be flat, how should I go about attaching/bonding the wood to the fiberglass, and should I use 3/4 or 1/2 MDF? I was thinking maybe stick the wood on top, then glass over the wood to seal it together. any thoughts?
FG spare tire well, first time - Last Post -- posted image.
FG spare tire well, first time - Last Post -- posted image.
riceman 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2005 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
hey, I think you should first make the top part out of 3/4"
mdf. Then cut the mdf till it fits the trunk then cut the hole for the sub. After you've done that get a pencil and draw from underneath where the FG meets the mdf. Then take the fg and the mdf out and align it with the pencil markings and resin with fg the edges. just wondering why are you putting bondo on the inside ? bondo is just for finishing. Its not gonna add strenth to it. thats what the fg is for. good luck
danieljaluise 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2005 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the tips riceman.   yeah, there is pretty much no reason for the bondo on the inside. I put it on because i thought it would help fill in if there were any small air holes or something. Can you tell I've never done this before... haha. I think i made the decision about the bondo while I was high off of the resin fumes.
riceman 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
Now that the bondo is on the inside there pretty much nothing u can do so just move on. You can either start all over or just leave it in there. But if you leave it in there, take the sub out once in awhile and check on the bondo to see if pieces have broken off. those pieces might be sharp and maybe by along shot might punture your sub maybe when you hit a pothole. But I really doubt it. Good luck and for your own safety get a respirator.
danieljaluise 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
I'm gonna add a few more layers of fiberglass. I don't think there should be any problem with putting the FG right over the bondo layer.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic