icon

amps, todays vs. the past

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2005 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
I was just thinking about the quality of companies these days. Just about all of the "big boys" of yesterday seem to be gone. What has happened to Hifonics, Orion, Precision Power, Soundstream, and the other companies that had the amps that you could buy and you KNEW they were true rms power? US Amps and Fosgate: I'm not sure about them. What are the "big boys" of today? If a person wants to go out and get a slammin' amp, what do they buy?
'85 Toy
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2005 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  
Mcintosh still makes incredible amps, made in the US too. If I were more financially stable I would run nothing but Mcintosh.
hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2005 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  

I have the Schematic of the Classic ZAPCO 150L and the Seperate Power Supply PS200.

But it is too large for this forum.amps, todays vs. the past - Last Post -- posted image.

Here is a picture of the first Fosgate Amp.

amps, todays vs. the past - Last Post -- posted image.

John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2005 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
US Amps is still live and well I Gainsville, Florida, USA
Big Dave
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2005 at 7:23 AM / IP Logged  
US Amps were the best. we just recently started carrying them and i wasnt impressed. they said they dont make any amp lower than 1 ohm stable anymore. now they are just everyday amps instead of cheater amps.
joebobcletusjr 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2005 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  

wow that fosgate looks more like those 20W boosters you used to be able to buy at RadioCrack for $40, I wonder how many watts that little thing puts out.  I am assuming that judging by the age it was probably something to the tune of 15 to 20W

Never owned a Mcintosh, although I had a friend that once had one, and it was a pretty solid amp, this was a few years ago, and we all know how things can change in the world of car audio.  Some companies can go from #1 to out of business with the release of one bad product.  I guess it's good to hear that they are still good amps, as you don't hear much about that brand.

I thought Mcintosh was some crappy offbrand till I saw it and got to fiddle with it a bit.

eh? what did you just say?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic