icon

L7 or W3v2

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2005 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  

I do believe the reason that you don't like the JL's right now is due to the fact that they are just in too small of an enclosure. I have been dealing with JL set-ups for many years and given the proper enclosure and power supply, they will rock hard.

Just one example: An install I did for a buddy of mine last year using 2 12W3's powered by a JL 500.1 in a 1.45 FT^3 sealed box. With that set-up he hit 138 on the meter and it sounded clean as hell as well.

Your problem sounds like space issues. Why not consider a set of good quality 10's that will require a smaller enclosure. the JL 10W3's require around .6-.9 Ft^3. I have personally set these up in a 1ft^3 sealed encloure in a Silverado extended cab and they rocked.

The choice is really up to you but, I thought that I would just stick in my 2 cents.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
Nodestiny 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2005 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
If you care not about distorted sounding bass, the L7's in your small sealed boxes would do fine for SPL. I had 2 of the first generation L7s in my 88 pulsar with 500 watts RMS each sealed with 1.1 cubes each and did 148.3 at the dash on the older termlab mic (so probably 142-144 on the new meter).
L7s have the ABILITY to have excelent SQ at the expense of a large box. I used to be a Kicker L7 fanboy until i threw in some High XMAX round subs, and then realized the L7s were not all that great as an SQ driver.
If you can find them, try out the Oz Audio Matrix Elite 10"s. In your space, .88 cubes each, you will find excelent lows, 25mm Xmax / 2.5" peak to peak will insure plenty of output, with 700 watts RMS (i have heard people putting 1000watts RMS into them easily), they have more cone area than your average high xmax sub (due to Uturn surround simular to the IDMAX)...
I would put a Matrix Elite sub VS any sub in the price range for either SQ or SPL anyday ;)
I would also venture to say that a 12" Matrix Elite VS a Kicker L7 12" would have simular outcome, since the extra Xmax of the ME will help to keep up to the extra cone area of the sub...
But when it comes to playing a 10Hz note in either one of these... i know my good ol ME's will deffen me far before the L7s will :D
04 dodge neon SXT
(2) Oz Audio Matrix Elite 12"s sealed in 4 cube fiberglass enclosure, powered by HiFonics BX1605D
Oz Audio Matrix 180cs 6.5" component set power by HiFonics ZX4000
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic