icon

Fish tape?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shesaidshewas18 
Copper - Posts: 96
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 6:05 AM / IP Logged  
I feel real sorry to ask, but I think I should've already known what fish tape is, but I dont?! Can anyone tell me what it is, what its used for, how to use it etc etc?! I asked 1 of my co-workers, but he had no idea of what it was too.
hawn13 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
fishtape is used by electritains to pull wire through conduit or finished walls it comes in 25-100ft reels. unless fishman has some new tape outFish tape? - Last Post -- posted image.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
we use a Greenlee fish here for our long runs, but use the DEI nylon fishes( which i love) for short distances... it's great for poking thru grommets, snaking wires thru the dash or under seats, etc
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
zezebiah 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
Fish tape can be pretty helpfull at times. I use it a lot for running RCA's through the dash. IMO dont pay a whole lot for it as you wont know how often you'll use it. I think I paid $15 for mine on sale somewhere.
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
use bicyle brake line, from walmart. those are sturdy and frictionless at the same time. makes running wires painless.
i think auex, jeff(velocitymotorsports), or someone here came up w/ the idea long ago.... very useful.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
meltingplastic 
Copper - Posts: 225
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  
i use a hanger if i forgot to pack stuff for when i do installs on the road(i alwas keep one in my car incase someone locks their keys outta their car) otherwise i use a thick nylon strap to punch through grommets or i've tried the brake line a few times and that works also
Driving a Bagged, Caddied 02 s10
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2005 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  
I actually use a very thin piece of flexible metal 22 inches long and about 1/8 to 3/16 inches wide. Of all things, its from an old windshield wiper blade. When I was changing the wiper blades on my wifes car, the metal came out of the blade. Instead of throwing it away, I ended up saving it. I kinda figured it would make a good fish tool beacuse it was very thin and flexible, yet still very stong and didnt bend very easily. It has actually come in quite handy. Especially running wires from under the dash thru grommets into the engine compartment. I just tape the wire to it and poke it thru,(its rigid and sharp enough that it can pierce right through most rubber grommets) go to the other side, and finish pulling it thru, done in a snap. It also is a lifesaver when running wires thru door jamb boots into the door.
shesaidshewas18 
Copper - Posts: 96
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2005 at 4:28 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, I get it. If I ever need to run wires from one side of the car to the other, I have this LONG ziptie from Home Depot. And for grommets, I got this thing from Harbor Freight and it looks like a medical tool like really long nose needle nose pliers. I work at a Chevy dealership and I guarantee you I can get through the grommets in Tahoe's Silverado's and a couple other trucks in less than 5 seconds. But I wanna see what this fishtape is. Anyone know where to purchase some?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic